How Do I make my VB app recognized different file formats? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How Do I make my VB app recognized different file formats?

decentdaddecentdad Posts: 2Member
I have a VB6 database viewer application. It currently recognizes only MS Access databases. I use this application to tell my the field names, field lengths, field data types, etc. Once it determines this information, it gives me all this information in a nice little report. The report also lists the total number of records on the database.

If someone could kindly advise me, I need to figure out how to make the application recognize different file formats. I need the app to recognize .dbf, .xls, .csv, or to possibly just search for a wild card and let the user select from the file types within a given directory. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• GideonOmegaGideonOmega Posts: 617Member
    : I have a VB6 database viewer application. It currently recognizes only MS Access databases. I use this application to tell my the field names, field lengths, field data types, etc. Once it determines this information, it gives me all this information in a nice little report. The report also lists the total number of records on the database.
    :
    : If someone could kindly advise me, I need to figure out how to make the application recognize different file formats. I need the app to recognize .dbf, .xls, .csv, or to possibly just search for a wild card and let the user select from the file types within a given directory. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    :
    : Chris
    :
    :

For any additional database type you wish to view you will need a different connection string and different code to query the information as each database has different types of system files, The best way to do that would be to use a Class to make the connection and a module to then determine which code to use.

for Excel files you can include the Excel 7.0 refference to your project - this will allow you to create and manipulate Excel objects
    in code.

Hope this helps

C:Dos
    C:Dos Run
    Run Dos Run