Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Beginning Python

ITAITA Posts: 463Member
Hello, I am planning to learn Python. I program in C#, C++ and BASIC. I am also planning to develop on a LINUX system. Does anyone know any tutorials and development tools for Linux? Please help, many thanks.

PS If you cannot find any programs or tutorials for Linux, just tell me the Windows ones. Many thanks again.

ITA

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Hello, I am planning to learn Python. I program in C#, C++ and BASIC. I am also planning to develop on a LINUX system. Does anyone know any tutorials and development tools for Linux? Please help, many thanks.
    :
    :
    : PS If you cannot find any programs or tutorials for Linux, just tell me the Windows ones. Many thanks again.

The standard python package comes with a great tutorial and library documentation. It also comes with a simple development tool named IDLE. All you really need, though, is a good text editor like vim and a command line.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• ITAITA Posts: 463Member
    Where can I get this 'standard Python package'? Also, how do I run my code? Does python need to be compiled? What uses does it have? Where can I apply my knowledge of Python? Many thanks. Also please include any additional info I may need.

ITA
    [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2003-10-22 15:49:50[/red][/b][hr]
    : Where can I get this 'standard Python package'?

http://www.python.org

Seriously, learn how to use search engines.

: Also, how do I run my code?

Using the python interpreter.

: Does python need to be compiled?

Python code is compiled into a bytecode similar to how Java works except that the python executable does it automatically.

: What uses does it have?

It's a programming language. A very flexible, adaptable, clean language. Let your imagination run wild.

: Where can I apply my knowledge of Python?

Anywhere you want to.

: Also please include any additional info I may need.

How are we supposed to know what you need if you don't know what you want to do?

: How are we supposed to know what you need if you don't know what you want to do?

Sorry, I'd like to develop applications for Windows and Linux.

Thanks a million.

ITA

: : How are we supposed to know what you need if you don't know what you want to do?
    :
    : Sorry, I'd like to develop applications for Windows and Linux.

Well obviously. What [italic]kind[/italic] of application? The python standard library comes with all sorts of powerful modules, and there are plenty of third-party modules available. The Python Package Index on python.org lists many and the Vaults of Parnassus (search google for it) is also a good place to find modules.

Because python is an interpreted language does this mean that it is limited for serious application deployment? How would the scripts run without the interpreter? Does this change when developing for the web?

Sorry, many thanks again.

ITA
    : Because python is an interpreted language does this mean that it is limited for serious application deployment?

Did you mean deployment or development? There are no limits on deploying the interpreter. You can even use it in commercial applications. If you mean development then there are very few limits on using python. Companies like Industrial Light and Magic, Google, NASA, etc use Python. You couldn't write an operating system using it, for example, but in terms of application development it is extremely flexible.

: How would the scripts run without the interpreter?

They can't.

: Does this change when developing for the web?

No. The webserver must have python installed to use Python for web development like cgi scripts. Note that there is an Apache module that can embed Python directly in the webserver, and there are web server/application platforms (Zope/Plone, CherryPy, Twisted, etc) that are written in Python themselves.

Ok,

Just want to say thanks for all your help.

ITA :-)