Intercepting Internet Explorer Download Dialog? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Intercepting Internet Explorer Download Dialog?

Ok heres the problem, my little brother keeps downloading games with adware and spyware and other nasties in them and my mum keeps on moaning at me to fix the computer when my brother downloads nasties like he does.

We're on AOL and so the first idea would be to block his downloads using AOL's parental controls but he knows my mums password and she is not going to change it cause she might forget it.

So i thought maybe i could write a small program to intercept the internet explorer download dialog box and prompt for a password. If the incorrect password is entered then the download box is stopped else the download box shows up and allows the download to continue.

The only problem is i don't have the slightest idea where to start. Does anyone know anything about intercepting internet explorer downloads?

Comments

• veliusvelius Posts: 456Member
    First you would need to create a program that uses the Internet Browser Control from Microsoft. Then you should look to www.codeproject.com or www.msdn.microsoft.com for information on how to handle the events of IE. That may be the route you would want to take. Otherwise I'd change your mother's password for here and inform her that it is for security reasons and that's final. I don't care who gets in my way when it comes to security. Hell I refused to give my Father-in-law more than you may look at the desktop rights on my main computer, because he is a security threat all on his own.
    [hr]
    Oh my god
    I can't deny this
    I've been taught just to kill and fight this
    To bury it deeper where nobody can find it
    Like nobody wanted to know
    -- Oh My God - Guns N' Roses

• DarknezzDarknezz Posts: 245Member
    : First you would need to create a program that uses the Internet Browser Control from Microsoft. Then you should look to www.codeproject.com or www.msdn.microsoft.com for information on how to handle the events of IE. That may be the route you would want to take. Otherwise I'd change your mother's password for here and inform her that it is for security reasons and that's final. I don't care who gets in my way when it comes to security. Hell I refused to give my Father-in-law more than you may look at the desktop rights on my main computer, because he is a security threat all on his own.

Hehe thanks i'll have a look when i've got some time :) Lucky me, i have my own computer so my evil brother can't screw my stuff up!