Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

SQL Server - Excel question

kel1981bkel1981b Member Posts: 852
Question may sound like stupid. I need to pass some data from SQL Server to Ecel. I wrote VB program to do that but it works extremly slow and working with VB - Exel object is very painfull. So I was thinking may be there is way to pass data from SQL Server to Excel using T-SQL or may be some internal Server functions?
Any advise/help will be highly appriciated.

Comments

• DaedaliusDaedalius Member Posts: 30
    You'll have to do a bit of searching around (or some foot work) but I have seen posted on the internet the solution to your problem. The solution involves creating a temporary linked server (which is actually the excel spreadsheet) and the use of sp_OA (OLE Automation) to create and populate the data into the spreadsheet. Good luck.

: Question may sound like stupid. I need to pass some data from SQL Server to Ecel. I wrote VB program to do that but it works extremly slow and working with VB - Exel object is very painfull. So I was thinking may be there is way to pass data from SQL Server to Excel using T-SQL or may be some internal Server functions?
    : Any advise/help will be highly appriciated.
    :

• kel1981bkel1981b Member Posts: 852
    : You'll have to do a bit of searching around (or some foot work) but I have seen posted on the internet the solution to your problem. The solution involves creating a temporary linked server (which is actually the excel spreadsheet) and the use of sp_OA (OLE Automation) to create and populate the data into the spreadsheet. Good luck.
    :
    Thank you, I'll try
  • slaha11slaha11 Member Posts: 28
    [b][red]This message was edited by slaha11 at 2003-10-26 23:35:38[/red][/b][hr]
    Hi,

Why don't you use DTS?
    It can do that very efficiently.

You can even schedule a DTS package to do that for you.

-surajIT

[b][red]This message was edited by kel1981b at 2003-10-31 6:19:37[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by slaha11 at 2003-10-26 23:35:38[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi,
    :
    : Why don't you use DTS?
    : It can do that very efficiently.
    :
    : You can even schedule a DTS package to do that for you.
    :
    : -surajIT
    :
    :
    Thank for your reply. I am not that experienced in SQL Server. Could you explain me how I can do that? Is there some good tutorial online for SQL Server - DTS?

: Hi,
    :
    : Follow the link:
    :
    : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dtssql/dts_basic_5zg3.asp
    :
    : This should suffice.
    :
    : -surajIT
    :
    :
    :
    Thanks a lot. I'll try.

• monstormonstor Member Posts: 1
    : Question may sound like stupid. I need to pass some data from SQL Server to Ecel. I wrote VB program to do that but it works extremly slow and working with VB - Exel object is very painfull. So I was thinking may be there is way to pass data from SQL Server to Excel using T-SQL or may be some internal Server functions?
    : Any advise/help will be highly appriciated.
    :

Have you considered using VBA within Excel to access SQL via ADO objects? I do this alot and it works very well. The process is
    1. Create an ADO connection & open it
    2. (optional) Create an ADO command object & build an SQL string using data from the Excel sheet (e.g. dates or account numbers)
    3. Open an ADO recordset & parse the recoredset, copying data into Excel worksheet cells.
    4. Close & discard the ADO objects

One other similar option is to use VBA to manage the QueryTable object in Excel. Go to MSDN & search for "QueryTable Object" for artcles on how to do this.

The ADO approach is good for importing data when you need control over the formatting & destination of that data.

QueryTable approach is good if you need a refreshable link to some data in SQL
    : : Question may sound like stupid. I need to pass some data from SQL Server to Ecel. I wrote VB program to do that but it works extremly slow and working with VB - Exel object is very painfull. So I was thinking may be there is way to pass data from SQL Server to Excel using T-SQL or may be some internal Server functions?
    : : Any advise/help will be highly appriciated.
    : :
    :
    : Have you considered using VBA within Excel to access SQL via ADO objects? I do this alot and it works very well. The process is
    : 1. Create an ADO connection & open it
    : 2. (optional) Create an ADO command object & build an SQL string using data from the Excel sheet (e.g. dates or account numbers)
    : 3. Open an ADO recordset & parse the recoredset, copying data into Excel worksheet cells.
    : 4. Close & discard the ADO objects
    :
    : One other similar option is to use VBA to manage the QueryTable object in Excel. Go to MSDN & search for "QueryTable Object" for artcles on how to do this.
    :
    : The ADO approach is good for importing data when you need control over the formatting & destination of that data.
    :
    : QueryTable approach is good if you need a refreshable link to some data in SQL
    :
    Right now I am using VB 6 Application to do that and I do not like it at all. IMO, working with VB 6 - Excel object is real paint of the ass. I need to run this process automaticaly at the and of the mounth without user intervantion. Seem to me it's not possible to do that using Excel VBA.