Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Redhat Linux Installation Question

jasonumdjasonumd Member Posts: 2
Here is my scenario. I currently have 2 computers on my Linksys home network which uses a Linksys wireless router. I want to add a third computer which runs Linux. The purpose of the Linux computer is to be able to connect to from my Windows computers to the Linux computer over the home network so I can compile my C/C++ programs using gcc/g++. I will also need to ftp to the Linux computer to transfer my source files.

My question is, do I need to install the Redhat Linux server or can the Redhat Linux workstation fulfill my needs?

Also, during the installation process, is there anything special I need to do to install the gcc/g++ compiler? I have the workstation installed now and it doesn't seem like the compilers are there.

Thanks in advance.
Jason

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 2,914
    : Here is my scenario. I currently have 2 computers on my Linksys
    : home network which uses a Linksys wireless router. I want to add a
    : third computer which runs Linux. The purpose of the Linux computer
    : is to be able to connect to from my Windows computers to the Linux
    : computer over the home network so I can compile my C/C++ programs
    : using gcc/g++.
    Sounds like a good plan. :-)

: I will also need to ftp to the Linux computer to transfer my source
    : files.
    FTP is fine, Samba may also suit you. It allows you to set up a share just like you do in Windows, but on your Linux box. Then you can access it from a Windows PC just like any other share.

: My question is, do I need to install the Redhat Linux server or can
    : the Redhat Linux workstation fulfill my needs?
    If you want Samba and to run an FTP server, then yes you will most likely need to do that. But...

: Also, during the installation process, is there anything special I
    : need to do to install the gcc/g++ compiler? I have the workstation
    : installed now and it doesn't seem like the compilers are there.
    Find it unlikely it'd do any install without the compiler, but it's entirely possible I suppose. Where are you looking for gcc/g++? They won't appear on the "Start menu" style thing, as they are just command line compilers. There are a number of front ends you can get to them tha provide something like the Visual Studio IDE. Sorry if what I just said was patronizing, I just like to cover all possibilities. :-)

Anyway, I suggest you take the custom install option and select the components you need. That way you can make sure you have what you want and don't end up with a load of servers you don't want slowing down your startup.

Good luck,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• jasonumdjasonumd Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your assistance. I reinstalled Linux yesterday but this time I installed the server. I can now use Putty with SSH to connect to my server from my 2 other pc's in the house. I saw that the Redhat 9 installation mentioned something about a utility that allows the server to be seen using Windows pc's. I'm going to look into what that is and I will also look into installing Samba. Also, I checked and the gcc compiler is on the computer. I made sure to look for the development options during the install process.

Linux is really getting easy to install. I installed it during college about 4 years ago and it wasn't at all easy to install. This time, it was a breeze.

: : Here is my scenario. I currently have 2 computers on my Linksys
    : : home network which uses a Linksys wireless router. I want to add a
    : : third computer which runs Linux. The purpose of the Linux computer
    : : is to be able to connect to from my Windows computers to the Linux
    : : computer over the home network so I can compile my C/C++ programs
    : : using gcc/g++.
    : Sounds like a good plan. :-)
    :
    : : I will also need to ftp to the Linux computer to transfer my source
    : : files.
    : FTP is fine, Samba may also suit you. It allows you to set up a share just like you do in Windows, but on your Linux box. Then you can access it from a Windows PC just like any other share.
    :
    : : My question is, do I need to install the Redhat Linux server or can
    : : the Redhat Linux workstation fulfill my needs?
    : If you want Samba and to run an FTP server, then yes you will most likely need to do that. But...
    :
    : : Also, during the installation process, is there anything special I
    : : need to do to install the gcc/g++ compiler? I have the workstation
    : : installed now and it doesn't seem like the compilers are there.
    : Find it unlikely it'd do any install without the compiler, but it's entirely possible I suppose. Where are you looking for gcc/g++? They won't appear on the "Start menu" style thing, as they are just command line compilers. There are a number of front ends you can get to them tha provide something like the Visual Studio IDE. Sorry if what I just said was patronizing, I just like to cover all possibilities. :-)
    :
    : Anyway, I suggest you take the custom install option and select the components you need. That way you can make sure you have what you want and don't end up with a load of servers you don't want slowing down your startup.
    :
    : Good luck,
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    :

• JonathanJonathan Member Posts: 2,914
    : I saw that the Redhat 9 installation mentioned something about a
    : utility that allows the server to be seen using Windows pc's. I'm
    : going to look into what that is and I will also look into installing
    : Samba.
    I imagine you'll find the thing your looking for IS Samba. :-)

: Linux is really getting easy to install. I installed it during
    : college about 4 years ago and it wasn't at all easy to install.
    : This time, it was a breeze.
    When it works, it works great. Unfortunately, I've got major problems with SuSE and Mandrake really not liking my Graphics card. I found the fix for SuSE, then found that it doesn't work if you have a certain motherboard chipset. Sure enough, it's the one in my PC. Now I know it's doable because it works great in RedHat. But RedHat doesn't like my network card (onboard nForce one) and even when I install the RedHat driver I get problems (it says the driver was compiled with gcc 2.x, it needs 3.x to work with a kernel done in 3.x, etc). So I'm stuck with Windows XP at the moment, which in all honestly is reasonably stable and runs like lightning on my hardware. go figure... (Yeah yeah, I know...it's 'cus they've got so much of the market share and $$$...)

Glad it worked out for you, anyway! :-) I'll get there with mine...one day.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");