hepl the new kid on the block - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

hepl the new kid on the block

I am just getting started in electronic circuts, and i have a few questions that might seem alitle dumb. First off I am creating a circut for my car, I need to have a push button activate a few relays, but i need it to close one relay at a time (push: close #1, push open #1 close #2, and goes on up to 4 then starts back at 1) is there an ic that will do that? Also do i need to put a resister before/after a relay on the coil side, or will the coil have enough resistence not to overload the control circut.

Thanks for the help,
Paul

Comments

• g_Sudhakarg_Sudhakar Posts: 1Member
    HI,
    check CD4017 IC. (10 bit ring counter or johnson counter)

use your push button to clock the deivce (use RC to debounce the clock). connect reset to Q4. You might have to force reset when power on so use OR gate or two diode to do that.
    connect relays to Q0 till Q3. This chip cannot drive relay so use transistor to drive it.
    use proper regulation and decoupling to the chip.

let me know if you need more details

regards

: I am just getting started in electronic circuts, and i have a few questions that might seem alitle dumb. First off I am creating a circut for my car, I need to have a push button activate a few relays, but i need it to close one relay at a time (push: close #1, push open #1 close #2, and goes on up to 4 then starts back at 1) is there an ic that will do that? Also do i need to put a resister before/after a relay on the coil side, or will the coil have enough resistence not to overload the control circut.
    :
    :
    : Thanks for the help,
    : Paul
    :

• korkor Posts: 198Member
    : HI,
    : check CD4017 IC. (10 bit ring counter or johnson counter)
    :
    : use your push button to clock the deivce (use RC to debounce the clock). connect reset to Q4. You might have to force reset when power on so use OR gate or two diode to do that.
    : connect relays to Q0 till Q3. This chip cannot drive relay so use transistor to drive it.
    : use proper regulation and decoupling to the chip.
    :
    : let me know if you need more details
    :
    : regards
    :
    :
    : : I am just getting started in electronic circuts, and i have a few questions that might seem alitle dumb. First off I am creating a circut for my car, I need to have a push button activate a few relays, but i need it to close one relay at a time (push: close #1, push open #1 close #2, and goes on up to 4 then starts back at 1) is there an ic that will do that? Also do i need to put a resister before/after a relay on the coil side, or will the coil have enough resistence not to overload the control circut.
    : :
    : : Thanks for the help,
    : : Paul
    :
    :
    I tend to lean away from ic's, they really take away a lot, unless the application is sufficiently large.
    You could also do it by wiring the relays correctly if they have an extra normally open contact. I'll assume that one relay is always closed, even before you hit the button the first time. Most do, so I'll suggest this method.I tend to lean away from ic's, they really take away a lot, unless the application is sufficiently large.

Construction:
    Connect the switch to the v++ side of all the coils. Connect the ground side to the normally open contact of the previous relay in the order, and the other side of that contact to ground. Connect one end of the extra relay's normally open contact to v++ and coil 1's v++.
    It also requires a oneshot circuit to trigger the first relay the first time, unfortunately, I did not have time to design that.

Analysis:
    Each time the button is pressed, the next coil is energized, since the switch connects v++ to v++ of each relay and each energized relay connects ground to the ground side of the next relay.
  • korkor Posts: 198Member
    : : HI,
    : : check CD4017 IC. (10 bit ring counter or johnson counter)
    : : use your push button to clock the deivce (use RC to debounce the clock). connect reset to Q4. You might have to force reset when power on so use OR gate or two diode to do that.
    : : connect relays to Q0 till Q3. This chip cannot drive relay so use transistor to drive it.
    : : use proper regulation and decoupling to the chip.
    : : let me know if you need more details
    : : regards
    : : : I am just getting started in electronic circuts, and i have a few questions that might seem alitle dumb. First off I am creating a circut for my car, I need to have a push button activate a few relays, but i need it to close one relay at a time (push: close #1, push open #1 close #2, and goes on up to 4 then starts back at 1) is there an ic that will do that? Also do i need to put a resister before/after a relay on the coil side, or will the coil have enough resistence not to overload the control circut.
    : : :
    : : : Thanks for the help,
    : : : Paul
    : I tend to lean away from ic's, they really take away a lot, unless the application is sufficiently large.
    : You could also do it by wiring the relays correctly if they have an extra normally open contact. I'll assume that one relay is always closed, even before you hit the button the first time. Most do, so I'll suggest this method.I tend to lean away from ic's, they really take away a lot, unless the application is sufficiently large.
    :
    : Construction:
    : Connect the switch to the v++ side of all the coils. Connect the ground side to the normally open contact of the previous relay in the order, and the other side of that contact to ground. Connect one end of the extra relay's normally open contact to v++ and coil 1's v++.
    : It also requires a oneshot circuit to trigger the first relay the first time, unfortunately, I did not have time to design that.
    :
    : Analysis:
    : Each time the button is pressed, the next coil is energized, since the switch connects v++ to v++ of each relay and each energized relay connects ground to the ground side of the next relay.
    :

Erm... scratch that... I just designed a ring counter which will increase as long as the button is pressed.
  • dpghostdpghost Posts: 2Member
    : : HI,
    : : check CD4017 IC. (10 bit ring counter or johnson counter)
    : : use your push button to clock the deivce (use RC to debounce the clock). connect reset to Q4. You might have to force reset when power on so use OR gate or two diode to do that.
    : : connect relays to Q0 till Q3. This chip cannot drive relay so use transistor to drive it.
    : : use proper regulation and decoupling to the chip.
    : : let me know if you need more details
    : : regards
    : : : I am just getting started in electronic circuts, and i have a few questions that might seem alitle dumb. First off I am creating a circut for my car, I need to have a push button activate a few relays, but i need it to close one relay at a time (push: close #1, push open #1 close #2, and goes on up to 4 then starts back at 1) is there an ic that will do that? Also do i need to put a resister before/after a relay on the coil side, or will the coil have enough resistence not to overload the control circut.
    : : : Thanks for the help,
    : : : Paul
    : I tend to lean away from ic's, they really take away a lot, unless the application is sufficiently large.
    : You could also do it by wiring the relays correctly if they have an extra normally open contact. I'll assume that one relay is always closed, even before you hit the button the first time. Most do, so I'll suggest this method.I tend to lean away from ic's, they really take away a lot, unless the application is sufficiently large.
    :
    : Construction:
    : Connect the switch to the v++ side of all the coils. Connect the ground side to the normally open contact of the previous relay in the order, and the other side of that contact to ground. Connect one end of the extra relay's normally open contact to v++ and coil 1's v++.
    : It also requires a oneshot circuit to trigger the first relay the first time, unfortunately, I did not have time to design that.
    :
    : Analysis:
    : Each time the button is pressed, the next coil is energized, since the switch connects v++ to v++ of each relay and each energized relay connects ground to the ground side of the next relay.
    : It's could be possible that any existing integrated circuit will havedirect control between a 12 volt dc battery and your transmission system. When it fires up, the alternater acts as an ac generator that by (I guess here) some sort of reversed bias or varactor diode configuration to digitize or half-cycle the ac. If your transmitting a signal to trip a switch or a pin, look into calibration and try to get a schematic that will close the circuit and reset upon reignition. A coil involves inductance and capacitance as the charge is passed along the by inducing that continues in the magnetic flux. They are atomically distict fro the semiconductors used or the etching of transistors on a chip. A microscopic crack on a circuit board breaks the circuit because the embedded copper has lost its conductivity. Something isn't adding up if it's going to 4, then to 1.
    good luck.

• panic modepanic mode Posts: 10Member
    You can use 555 as monostable triggered by button.
    Use the pulses from 555 to index 4017 decade counter
    (you can use one of the outptus to reset counter to
    ensure rollover at 4, 5 or any number you like).
    4017 is CMOS chip unable to drive loads like relays
    so for each output you will need transistor sized
    for your loads. Don't forget supressor diodes if the
    loads are inductive (relay coils for example).

If this is over your head, you can make simple sequencer
    using only 12V relays:
    To do so you will probably want to connect button to
    relay with 4NO and 4NC contacts (just to get more contacts).
    If this is hard to find you can use button to energize
    two relays.
    These contacts can be used as seal in contacts for your
    eight control relays (these can be simple DPDT relays).
    NO contacts are used to seal in relays 1,3,5 and 7.
    NC contacts are used to seal in relays 2,4,6 and 8.
    [code]
    Press1 will seal in relay1 (relay8 must NOT be on).
    Release1 will seal on relay2 (relay1 must be on).
    Press2 will seal in relay3 (relay2 must be on).
    Release2 will seal on relay4 (relay3 must be on).
    Press3 will seal in relay5 (relay4 must be on).
    Release3 will seal on relay6 (relay5 must be on).
    Press4 will seal in relay7 (relay6 must be on).
    Release4 will seal on relay8 (relay7 must be on).

Output1 is on when relay1 is on and relay3 is off.
    Output2 is on when relay3 is on and relay5 is off.
    Output3 is on when relay5 is on and relay7 is off.
    Output4 is on when relay7 is on.
    [/code]
    I'd post schematic but I don't see a way to post picture
    and I'm too lazy to do it in ASCII.