Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Developing GUIs using Win32 APIs and C

Hi. I am developing this GUI using Win32 APIs and C. I am using MS Visual Studio 6.0
I am a Java programmer that all of a sudden is required to work on the native platform, but I guess GUI components are all the same for all platforms and languages.

Well, I need a tree view component (or control as MS call it). I have been looking for samples over the web, but everything I have found so far is WEB oriented or it is totally incomplete.
We were forbident to use MFC, so those samples don't work for me.

Where could I find docs and SAMPLE code (sample code being the most important). Microsoft MSDN web site is so horribly organized that it is really dificult to find anything there, and most of the sample code is incomplete missing resource files and more.

If anybody have a simple Win32 App. where I could see how to create and use a tree view control, it would be perfect.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Comments

• pingpongpingpong Posts: 937Member
    Good luck man.

Here's a link to the tree view docs from msdn, it has complete docs and samples:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/treeview/treeview.asp

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : Hi. I am developing this GUI using Win32 APIs and C. I am using MS Visual Studio 6.0
    : I am a Java programmer that all of a sudden is required to work on the native platform, but I guess GUI components are all the same for all platforms and languages.
    :
    : Well, I need a tree view component (or control as MS call it). I have been looking for samples over the web, but everything I have found so far is WEB oriented or it is totally incomplete.
    : We were forbident to use MFC, so those samples don't work for me.
    :
    : Where could I find docs and SAMPLE code (sample code being the most important). Microsoft MSDN web site is so horribly organized that it is really dificult to find anything there, and most of the sample code is incomplete missing resource files and more.
    :
    : If anybody have a simple Win32 App. where I could see how to create and use a tree view control, it would be perfect.
    :
    : Thanks a lot for your time.
    :
    [blue]I think MSDN is organized OK.[/blue]
  • pingpongpingpong Posts: 937Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by pingpong at 2003-10-9 9:3:23[/red][/b][hr]
    : [blue]I think MSDN is organized OK.[/blue]

Have to agree with the original poster. MSDN might be origanized OK but it's a pain trying to find information online. MSDN site is not exactly the fastest out there.

If you are serious about programming for Windows, you ought it to yourself to get MSDN on CD's or better, a DVD

• dyma82dyma82 Posts: 3Member
    : :
    : [blue]I think MSDN is organized OK.[/blue]
    :

Well, if you are a VB programmer or some other hight level developer MSDN could be well organized, but if you are a C/C++ developer and you want to get some info on Win32 APIs.....WOW....it is painful. If you do COM it is even worse. If you try to go really low....like working directly with the network card driver for example, you are going to be miserable in MSDN. If you try to find some detailed documentation about MAPI...hum...well...eventhough MAPI is the main component of Microsoft Exchange, you won't find it, and the little bit you find is all confused and disorganized.
    A concrete example?
    Go to this link :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/treeview/treeview.asp?frame=true#Creating_a_Tree_View

THEN, TRY TO SYNCHRONIZE TO BE ABLE TO NAVIGATE USING THE TREE VIEW TO YOUR RIGHT.

Wow...."Windows Controls" is missing..!!! And everything after that...!!!

Even worse, it seems like all this misguidance happened on deliberately. Like.....if you make things look really difficult you will be able to charge a lot for consultancy....hum...

Sir, I have to keep my position : MSDN SUCKS...!!!!!

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by AsmGuru62 at 2003-10-9 11:35:23[/red][/b][hr]
    : : :
    : : [blue]I think MSDN is organized OK.[/blue]
    :
    : Well, if you are a VB programmer or some other hight level developer MSDN could be well organized, but if you are a C/C++ developer and you want to get some info on Win32 APIs.....WOW....it is painful. If you do COM it is even worse. If you try to go really low....like working directly with the network card driver for example, you are going to be miserable in MSDN. If you try to find some detailed documentation about MAPI...hum...well...eventhough MAPI is the main component of Microsoft Exchange, you won't find it, and the little bit you find is all confused and disorganized.
    : A concrete example?
    : Go to this link :
    : http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/commctls/treeview/treeview.asp?frame=true#Creating_a_Tree_View
    :
    : THEN, TRY TO SYNCHRONIZE TO BE ABLE TO NAVIGATE USING THE TREE VIEW TO YOUR RIGHT.
    :
    : Wow...."Windows Controls" is missing..!!! And everything after that...!!!
    :
    : Even worse, it seems like all this misguidance happened on deliberately. Like.....if you make things look really difficult you will be able to charge a lot for consultancy....hum...
    :
    : Sir, I have to keep my position : MSDN SUCKS...!!!!!
    :
    :
    [blue]... ok, then... you, probably right, I just have a lot of experience scanning MSDN. For the real beginner it IS painful...

P.S. BTW, the earlier versions of Help system for Visual C++ (before they decided to move to MSDN) were quite good - just put a cursor over API call and hit F1 or go: Help->Search->Index or something of a sort and you find a good reference. If you able to find the VC++ 4.0 - it has this kind of old help system.[/blue]

• dyma82dyma82 Posts: 3Member
    : [blue]... ok, then... you, probably right, I just have a lot of experience scanning MSDN. For the real beginner it IS painful...
    :
    : P.S. BTW, the earlier versions of Help system for Visual C++ (before they decided to move to MSDN) were quite good - just put a cursor over API call and hit F1 or go: Help->Search->Index or something of a sort and you find a good reference. If you able to find the VC++ 4.0 - it has this kind of old help system.[/blue]
    :
    :
    :

lolololol.....I am not a beginner dude. I use it MSDN everyday. I just have tried other docs (Like Java APIs for example), and adknowledge that eventhough I HAVE to use it everyday MS docs suck.
    Anyway, you love it. Good for you.

Thank you all of you for your time.
    It has been really helpful.