Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Word document too large

I am generating a MS Word document from asp. The data is generated in tables inside the Word document. The problem is the file is quite large. I there a way to make the Word file smaller at generation. I removed some of the inline styles and place in the style header and this helped some. Any other ideas?

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : I am generating a MS Word document from asp. The data is generated
    : in tables inside the Word document. The problem is the file is
    : quite large. I there a way to make the Word file smaller at
    : generation. I removed some of the inline styles and place in the
    : style header and this helped some. Any other ideas?
    Two suggestions:-

1) Try using an older version of the Word file format. They've grown with time and files created with older versions of Word are probably going to be more compact than those created with newer versions.

2) Are you doing server side compression where clients support it? Word docs may compress fairly well and it would speed up delivery time. I think you have to pay for IIS version, and I suspect you are using IIS (ugh) if you're using ASP (ugh again, unless it's ASP.NET, which ain't so bad).

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• reidman48reidman48 Posts: 4Member
    : : I am generating a MS Word document from asp. The data is generated
    : : in tables inside the Word document. The problem is the file is
    : : quite large. I there a way to make the Word file smaller at
    : : generation. I removed some of the inline styles and place in the
    : : style header and this helped some. Any other ideas?
    : Two suggestions:-
    :
    : 1) Try using an older version of the Word file format. They've grown with time and files created with older versions of Word are probably going to be more compact than those created with newer versions.
    :
    : 2) Are you doing server side compression where clients support it? Word docs may compress fairly well and it would speed up delivery time. I think you have to pay for IIS version, and I suspect you are using IIS (ugh) if you're using ASP (ugh again, unless it's ASP.NET, which ain't so bad).
    :
    : Hope this helps,
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    :
    Hey, thanks for the info. Yes to both IIS and ASP. I wish I could automate the conversion to WORD 6.0. It produces a much smaller file size. I will look into the server side compression you suggested. Thanks again.
    :
    : 1) Try using an older version of the Word file format. They've grown with time and files created with older versions of Word are probably going to be more compact than those created with newer versions.
    :
    : 2) Are you doing server side compression where clients support it? Word docs may compress fairly well and it would speed up delivery time. I think you have to pay for IIS version, and I suspect you are using IIS (ugh) if you're using ASP (ugh again, unless it's ASP.NET, which ain't so bad).
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Hey, thanks for the info. Yes to both IIS and ASP. I wish I could automate the conversion to WORD 6.0. It produces a much smaller file size. I will look into the server side compression you suggested. Thanks again.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :