Installing ASP.NET with IIS - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Installing ASP.NET with IIS

kwizkwiz Posts: 4Member
I have a personal computer running Windows 2000 Pro that is not connecting to any network. I installed the Windows Components for IIS, and I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003.

I am trying to learn ASP.NET but whenever I open a new .NET project (VB.NET or C#), and I select the ASP.NET Web Application template, I get an error message from the IDE stating:

"Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET web applications or services"

Additionally, I used a text editor to create an .aspx file with the following content:

<%@ Page Language="C#" %>

Hello World ASP.NET Page

THIS IS A TEST
<%
// print some output
Response.Write("Hello World! Brought to you by ASP.NET");
%>

I have saved the file at:
C:InetpubwwwrootASPBasics est.aspx

I have also used the web server configuration tool to create a Virtual Directory (ASPBasics) mapped to the above path.

When I open a browser with the url "http://localhost/ASPBasics/test.aspx"

All that displays is "THIS IS A TEST".

It looks to me like my IIS installation is not aware of ASP.NET.

Can someone tell me what I need to do to get up and running?

Thank you,
Kevin Yearian

Comments

• ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    : I have a personal computer running Windows 2000 Pro that is not connecting to any network. I installed the Windows Components for IIS, and I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003.
    :
    : I am trying to learn ASP.NET but whenever I open a new .NET project (VB.NET or C#), and I select the ASP.NET Web Application template, I get an error message from the IDE stating:
    :
    : "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET web applications or services"
    :
    : Additionally, I used a text editor to create an .aspx file with the following content:
    :
    : <%@ Page Language="C#" %>
    :
    :
    : Hello World ASP.NET Page
    :
    :
    : THIS IS A TEST
    : <%
    : // print some output
    : Response.Write("Hello World! Brought to you by ASP.NET");
    : %>
    :
    :
    :
    : I have saved the file at:
    : C:InetpubwwwrootASPBasics est.aspx
    :
    : I have also used the web server configuration tool to create a Virtual Directory (ASPBasics) mapped to the above path.
    :
    : When I open a browser with the url "http://localhost/ASPBasics/test.aspx"
    :
    : All that displays is "THIS IS A TEST".
    :
    : It looks to me like my IIS installation is not aware of ASP.NET.
    :
    : Can someone tell me what I need to do to get up and running?

Have you installed the .NET Framework? It should be available from Windows Update.
  • kwizkwiz Posts: 4Member
    : : I have a personal computer running Windows 2000 Pro that is not connecting to any network. I installed the Windows Components for IIS, and I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003.
    : :
    : : I am trying to learn ASP.NET but whenever I open a new .NET project (VB.NET or C#), and I select the ASP.NET Web Application template, I get an error message from the IDE stating:
    : : "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET web applications or services"
    : : Additionally, I used a text editor to create an .aspx file with the following content:
    : : <%@ Page Language="C#" %>
    : : Hello World ASP.NET Page
    : : THIS IS A TEST
    : : <%
    : : // print some output
    : : Response.Write("Hello World! Brought to you by ASP.NET");
    : : %>
    : : I have saved the file at:
    : : C:InetpubwwwrootASPBasics est.aspx
    : : I have also used the web server configuration tool to create a Virtual Directory (ASPBasics) mapped to the above path.
    : : When I open a browser with the url "http://localhost/ASPBasics/test.aspx"
    : : All that displays is "THIS IS A TEST".
    : : It looks to me like my IIS installation is not aware of ASP.NET.
    : : Can someone tell me what I need to do to get up and running?
    :
    : Have you installed the .NET Framework? It should be available from Windows Update.
    :

My latest post is on the bottom
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

: : : I have a personal computer running Windows 2000 Pro that is not connecting to any network. I installed the Windows Components for IIS, and I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003.
    : : :
    : : : I am trying to learn ASP.NET but whenever I open a new .NET project (VB.NET or C#), and I select the ASP.NET Web Application template, I get an error message from the IDE stating:
    : : : "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET web applications or services"
    : : : Additionally, I used a text editor to create an .aspx file with the following content:
    : : : <%@ Page Language="C#" %>
    : : : Hello World ASP.NET Page
    : : : THIS IS A TEST
    : : : <%
    : : : // print some output
    : : : Response.Write("Hello World! Brought to you by ASP.NET");
    : : : %>
    : : : I have saved the file at:
    : : : C:InetpubwwwrootASPBasics est.aspx
    : : : I have also used the web server configuration tool to create a Virtual Directory (ASPBasics) mapped to the above path.
    : : : When I open a browser with the url "http://localhost/ASPBasics/test.aspx"
    : : : All that displays is "THIS IS A TEST".
    : : : It looks to me like my IIS installation is not aware of ASP.NET.
    : : : Can someone tell me what I need to do to get up and running?
    : : Have you installed the .NET Framework? It should be available from Windows Update.
    :
    :

It was while ago that I installed the software, but I think the installation process for Visual Studio.NET required me to install the framework first. I am not certain however.

Is there something I can check to tell me if the Framework (and which version) is installed?

Thanks,
    Kevin Yearian

I have some new info that might help.

On my Windows 2003 Server at home, I "Added windows components" through the control panel|Add Remove Programs.

I had already installed "Application Server", but when I looked at the details, "ASP.NET" was not selected by default. I checked it, completed the installation, and now I can open Web Service/Web Form templates.

Now I want to get ASP.NET working on my Windows 2000 Pro laptop. There is no "Application Server" option in the Windows Components setup, but there is an "Internet Information Service" option. T

The details of this component do not have an ASP.NET option. Additionally when I am installing the components, the installation process cannot find several IIS_****.htm files on my Windows 2000 Pro disk.

My laptop is running Windows Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)

Do I need a different version of Win 2000 Pro to be able to install ASP.NET components?

Thank you,
    Kevin Yearian
    : ----------------------------------------------------------------
    :
    : : : : I have a personal computer running Windows 2000 Pro that is not connecting to any network. I installed the Windows Components for IIS, and I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003.
    : : : :
    : : : : I am trying to learn ASP.NET but whenever I open a new .NET project (VB.NET or C#), and I select the ASP.NET Web Application template, I get an error message from the IDE stating:
    : : : : "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET web applications or services"
    : : : : Additionally, I used a text editor to create an .aspx file with the following content:
    : : : : <%@ Page Language="C#" %>
    : : : : Hello World ASP.NET Page
    : : : : THIS IS A TEST
    : : : : <%
    : : : : // print some output
    : : : : Response.Write("Hello World! Brought to you by ASP.NET");
    : : : : %>
    : : : : I have saved the file at:
    : : : : C:InetpubwwwrootASPBasics est.aspx
    : : : : I have also used the web server configuration tool to create a Virtual Directory (ASPBasics) mapped to the above path.
    : : : : When I open a browser with the url "http://localhost/ASPBasics/test.aspx"
    : : : : All that displays is "THIS IS A TEST".
    : : : : It looks to me like my IIS installation is not aware of ASP.NET.
    : : : : Can someone tell me what I need to do to get up and running?
    : : : Have you installed the .NET Framework? It should be available from Windows Update.
    :
    : It was while ago that I installed the software, but I think the installation process for Visual Studio.NET required me to install the framework first. I am not certain however.
    :
    : Is there something I can check to tell me if the Framework (and which version) is installed?
    :
    : Thanks,
    : Kevin Yearian
    :
    :