Installing ASP.NET with IIS - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Installing ASP.NET with IIS

kwizkwiz Posts: 4Member
I have a personal computer running Windows 2000 Pro that is not connecting to any network. I installed the Windows Components for IIS, and I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003.

I am trying to learn ASP.NET but whenever I open a new .NET project (VB.NET or C#), and I select the ASP.NET Web Application template, I get an error message from the IDE stating:

"Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET web applications or services"

Additionally, I used a text editor to create an .aspx file with the following content:

<%@ Page Language="C#" %>

Hello World ASP.NET Page

THIS IS A TEST
<%
// print some output
Response.Write("Hello World! Brought to you by ASP.NET");
%>

I have saved the file at:
C:InetpubwwwrootASPBasics est.aspx

I have also used the web server configuration tool to create a Virtual Directory (ASPBasics) mapped to the above path.

When I open a browser with the url "http://localhost/ASPBasics/test.aspx"

All that displays is "THIS IS A TEST".

It looks to me like my IIS installation is not aware of ASP.NET.

Can someone tell me what I need to do to get up and running?

Thank you,
Kevin Yearian

Comments

• ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    : I have a personal computer running Windows 2000 Pro that is not connecting to any network. I installed the Windows Components for IIS, and I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003.
    :
    : I am trying to learn ASP.NET but whenever I open a new .NET project (VB.NET or C#), and I select the ASP.NET Web Application template, I get an error message from the IDE stating:
    :
    : "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET web applications or services"
    :
    : Additionally, I used a text editor to create an .aspx file with the following content:
    :
    : <%@ Page Language="C#" %>
    :
    :
    : Hello World ASP.NET Page
    :
    :
    : THIS IS A TEST
    : <%
    : // print some output
    : Response.Write("Hello World! Brought to you by ASP.NET");
    : %>
    :
    :
    :
    : I have saved the file at:
    : C:InetpubwwwrootASPBasics est.aspx
    :
    : I have also used the web server configuration tool to create a Virtual Directory (ASPBasics) mapped to the above path.
    :
    : When I open a browser with the url "http://localhost/ASPBasics/test.aspx"
    :
    : All that displays is "THIS IS A TEST".
    :
    : It looks to me like my IIS installation is not aware of ASP.NET.
    :
    : Can someone tell me what I need to do to get up and running?

Have you installed the .NET Framework? It should be available from Windows Update.
  • kwizkwiz Posts: 4Member
    : : I have a personal computer running Windows 2000 Pro that is not connecting to any network. I installed the Windows Components for IIS, and I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003.
    : :
    : : I am trying to learn ASP.NET but whenever I open a new .NET project (VB.NET or C#), and I select the ASP.NET Web Application template, I get an error message from the IDE stating:
    : : "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET web applications or services"
    : : Additionally, I used a text editor to create an .aspx file with the following content:
    : : <%@ Page Language="C#" %>
    : : Hello World ASP.NET Page
    : : THIS IS A TEST
    : : <%
    : : // print some output
    : : Response.Write("Hello World! Brought to you by ASP.NET");
    : : %>
    : : I have saved the file at:
    : : C:InetpubwwwrootASPBasics est.aspx
    : : I have also used the web server configuration tool to create a Virtual Directory (ASPBasics) mapped to the above path.
    : : When I open a browser with the url "http://localhost/ASPBasics/test.aspx"
    : : All that displays is "THIS IS A TEST".
    : : It looks to me like my IIS installation is not aware of ASP.NET.
    : : Can someone tell me what I need to do to get up and running?
    :
    : Have you installed the .NET Framework? It should be available from Windows Update.
    :

My latest post is on the bottom
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

: : : I have a personal computer running Windows 2000 Pro that is not connecting to any network. I installed the Windows Components for IIS, and I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003.
    : : :
    : : : I am trying to learn ASP.NET but whenever I open a new .NET project (VB.NET or C#), and I select the ASP.NET Web Application template, I get an error message from the IDE stating:
    : : : "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET web applications or services"
    : : : Additionally, I used a text editor to create an .aspx file with the following content:
    : : : <%@ Page Language="C#" %>
    : : : Hello World ASP.NET Page
    : : : THIS IS A TEST
    : : : <%
    : : : // print some output
    : : : Response.Write("Hello World! Brought to you by ASP.NET");
    : : : %>
    : : : I have saved the file at:
    : : : C:InetpubwwwrootASPBasics est.aspx
    : : : I have also used the web server configuration tool to create a Virtual Directory (ASPBasics) mapped to the above path.
    : : : When I open a browser with the url "http://localhost/ASPBasics/test.aspx"
    : : : All that displays is "THIS IS A TEST".
    : : : It looks to me like my IIS installation is not aware of ASP.NET.
    : : : Can someone tell me what I need to do to get up and running?
    : : Have you installed the .NET Framework? It should be available from Windows Update.
    :
    :

It was while ago that I installed the software, but I think the installation process for Visual Studio.NET required me to install the framework first. I am not certain however.

Is there something I can check to tell me if the Framework (and which version) is installed?

Thanks,
    Kevin Yearian

I have some new info that might help.

On my Windows 2003 Server at home, I "Added windows components" through the control panel|Add Remove Programs.

I had already installed "Application Server", but when I looked at the details, "ASP.NET" was not selected by default. I checked it, completed the installation, and now I can open Web Service/Web Form templates.

Now I want to get ASP.NET working on my Windows 2000 Pro laptop. There is no "Application Server" option in the Windows Components setup, but there is an "Internet Information Service" option. T

The details of this component do not have an ASP.NET option. Additionally when I am installing the components, the installation process cannot find several IIS_****.htm files on my Windows 2000 Pro disk.

My laptop is running Windows Version 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)

Do I need a different version of Win 2000 Pro to be able to install ASP.NET components?

Thank you,
    Kevin Yearian
    : ----------------------------------------------------------------
    :
    : : : : I have a personal computer running Windows 2000 Pro that is not connecting to any network. I installed the Windows Components for IIS, and I am using Visual Studio .NET 2003.
    : : : :
    : : : : I am trying to learn ASP.NET but whenever I open a new .NET project (VB.NET or C#), and I select the ASP.NET Web Application template, I get an error message from the IDE stating:
    : : : : "Visual Studio .NET has detected that the specified Web server is not running ASP.NET version 1.1. You will be unable to run ASP.NET web applications or services"
    : : : : Additionally, I used a text editor to create an .aspx file with the following content:
    : : : : <%@ Page Language="C#" %>
    : : : : Hello World ASP.NET Page
    : : : : THIS IS A TEST
    : : : : <%
    : : : : // print some output
    : : : : Response.Write("Hello World! Brought to you by ASP.NET");
    : : : : %>
    : : : : I have saved the file at:
    : : : : C:InetpubwwwrootASPBasics est.aspx
    : : : : I have also used the web server configuration tool to create a Virtual Directory (ASPBasics) mapped to the above path.
    : : : : When I open a browser with the url "http://localhost/ASPBasics/test.aspx"
    : : : : All that displays is "THIS IS A TEST".
    : : : : It looks to me like my IIS installation is not aware of ASP.NET.
    : : : : Can someone tell me what I need to do to get up and running?
    : : : Have you installed the .NET Framework? It should be available from Windows Update.
    :
    : It was while ago that I installed the software, but I think the installation process for Visual Studio.NET required me to install the framework first. I am not certain however.
    :
    : Is there something I can check to tell me if the Framework (and which version) is installed?
    :
    : Thanks,
    : Kevin Yearian
    :
    :