Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Where is the 'FindText' Common Dialog

rai_netrai_net Posts: 51Member
greetings and salutations,

I was using the common dialog controls in C# yesterday and I realised that the 'FindText' Dialog is missing. Does anybody know what happended to it? Is the .NET framework incomplete or is microsoft getting rid of the 'FindText' Dialog.

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with this issue.

rai_net

Comments

• pingpongpingpong Posts: 937Member
    Bad news, there isnt one in the .NET class library.

You need to:

a) write your own from scratch.
    b) wrap the Win32 FindText/ReplaceText APIs.

If you go (b), then MS already has a sample for it here:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/f/d/9fdbae0b-8376-42f8-bcac-59ca9e826bb7/findreplace.msi

Granted its in VB.NET, but you can easily convert it to C#
  • rai_netrai_net Posts: 51Member
    : Bad news, there isnt one in the .NET class library.
    :
    : You need to:
    :
    : a) write your own from scratch.
    : b) wrap the Win32 FindText/ReplaceText APIs.
    :
    : If you go (b), then MS already has a sample for it here:
    : http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/f/d/9fdbae0b-8376-42f8-bcac-59ca9e826bb7/findreplace.msi
    :
    : Granted its in VB.NET, but you can easily convert it to C#
    :

Thanks for the bad news :(
    Do you know if there are any plans to bring back the 'FindText' Dialog perhaps in the next version of the .NET framework?

rai_net
  • pingpongpingpong Posts: 937Member
    : Thanks for the bad news :(
    : Do you know if there are any plans to bring back the 'FindText' Dialog perhaps in the next version of the .NET framework?
    :

I doubt it. Win32 FindText/ReplaceText was always a messed up dialog (since its a modeless one). I cant remember using it as is and always ending up hooking it to change half the functionality or replacing with my own all together.

I remember reading somewhere that this is the exact reason MS didnt bother having it in the .NET framework. Nobody used it in Win32, nobody will use it in .NET.

Then again, there's you.. Wanting to use it. So maybe we all been wrong altogether :)
  • rai_netrai_net Posts: 51Member
    : : Thanks for the bad news :(
    : : Do you know if there are any plans to bring back the 'FindText' Dialog perhaps in the next version of the .NET framework?
    : :
    :
    : I doubt it. Win32 FindText/ReplaceText was always a messed up dialog (since its a modeless one). I cant remember using it as is and always ending up hooking it to change half the functionality or replacing with my own all together.
    :
    : I remember reading somewhere that this is the exact reason MS didnt bother having it in the .NET framework. Nobody used it in Win32, nobody will use it in .NET.
    :
    : Then again, there's you.. Wanting to use it. So maybe we all been wrong altogether :)
    :

Thanks for the help, I guess I will have to go and make my own Find/ReplaceText Dialog then.

rai_net