Picture and stream - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Picture and stream

Stephand DavidStephand David Posts: 1Member
In my application, I've created a zip where I store several pictures (256 colors gif)
When my application is loaded, I want to open the zip and load the gif in memory, but it doesn't work as I want, and I'd like some help.

Here is what I do( it's very simplified)

Method 1:
FileStream stream
// Read the contains of the zip with this stream,
// it create Foo.gif (this part works)
stream.Close();
Bitmap Picture = new Bitmap ("Foo.gif");
File.Delete("Foo.gif");

I don't want to keep the file on the hard drive, so I delete it once it is loaded. Pb : I got an error message at runtime "Foo.gif used by another process", and I cannot delete it. But the Stream is supposed to be closed. How can I delete this file?

Method 2:
Instead of using a FileStream to read the zip and save it, I use a MemoryStream, and I create the picture from this stream. It works. Almost. Instead of a 256 colors picture, It create a 32bppArgb picture, so it takes a lot of memory.

Any idea of how I can access the picture in my zip, use them as 256 colors gif, and still be able to delete the picture once I'm done loading it?

Comments

• pingpongpingpong Posts: 937Member
    : Method 1:
    : FileStream stream
    : // Read the contains of the zip with this stream,
    : // it create Foo.gif (this part works)
    : stream.Close();
    : Bitmap Picture = new Bitmap ("Foo.gif");
    : File.Delete("Foo.gif");
    :
    : I don't want to keep the file on the hard drive, so I delete it once it is loaded. Pb : I got an error message at runtime "Foo.gif used by another process", and I cannot delete it. But the Stream is supposed to be closed. How can I delete this file?

Afraid there's nothing you can do here. This is the way GDI+ work (and therefore .NET). When you load from a "stream" be it a file or a memory stream, the stream must stay alive as long as the image is alive.

:
    : Method 2:
    : Instead of using a FileStream to read the zip and save it, I use a MemoryStream, and I create the picture from this stream. It works. Almost. Instead of a 256 colors picture, It create a 32bppArgb picture, so it takes a lot of memory.
    :

Never heard of this before. As a small test, run this code, should report 8 bpp indexed, if not, you might have a problem somewhere else in the code. Care to post so we can take a look at it?
    [code]
    using System;
    using System.IO;
    using System.Drawing;

// change to a gif file on your system
    using(FileStream fs = File.OpenRead(@"x:lalala.gif"))
    {
    using(MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream())
    {
    int bufferSize = 1024;
    byte[] buffer = new byte[bufferSize];

int count;

do
    {
    count = fs.Read(buffer, 0, bufferSize);
    if(count > 0)
    ms.Write(buffer, 0, count);
    }
    while(count > 0);

fs.Close();

using(Bitmap bitmap = Bitmap.FromStream(ms) as Bitmap)
    Console.WriteLine("PixelFormat is {0}", bitmap.PixelFormat);
    }
    }
    [/code]