Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

...Linux RedHat 9.0 has broken multithreading ... ??

lothariolothario Member Posts: 10
I have been told that:

...Linux RedHat 9.0 has broken multithreading ... ??

Is this true?
If yes, then is there an update/fix/patch/rpm for it?
If yes, then is it possible to verify this?

I have used the Red Hat Update Network to update all the rpms on my RH9 system.
Will this help?

If yes, then is it possible to verify that the problem is fixed?

Comments

• abcabc Member Posts: 443
    : I have been told that:
    :
    : ...Linux RedHat 9.0 has broken multithreading ... ??
    :
    : Is this true?

depends. they use a new (unstable at the time, I'm not certain how that changed) combo of glibc+kernel patches (NPTL) that no longer does multithreading through linuxthreads. afair you can still use the old threading model by doing [b]export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1[/b].

anyway, technically it's not broken, since NPTL is a conforming posix threads implementation while linuxthreads wasn't completely - hence the correct use of threads should still work while the linuxthreads-specific hacks won't by default. furthermore, by this definition the new 2.6 will be just as 'broken', since the rh patches were essentially backported from the 2.5 tree.
  • lothariolothario Member Posts: 10
    : : I have been told that:
    : :
    : : ...Linux RedHat 9.0 has broken multithreading ... ??
    : :
    : : Is this true?
    :
    : depends. they use a new (unstable at the time, I'm not certain how that changed) combo of glibc+kernel patches (NPTL) that no longer does multithreading through linuxthreads. afair you can still use the old threading model by doing [b]export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1[/b].
    :
    : anyway, technically it's not broken, since NPTL is a conforming posix threads implementation while linuxthreads wasn't completely - hence the correct use of threads should still work while the linuxthreads-specific hacks won't by default. furthermore, by this definition the new 2.6 will be just as 'broken', since the rh patches were essentially backported from the 2.5 tree.
    :
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for info.

Would you happen to know if this has any (negative) impact on Apache, MySQL and PHP?

I need to run these on this RH9 system and I am concerned about stability.

• abcabc Member Posts: 443
    : Would you happen to know if this has any (negative) impact on Apache, MySQL and PHP?
    :

probably not for the rh-packaged ones. more than that I have no idea, having strayed away from rh installs lately :-)