Extended file names - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Extended file names

delljohnbdelljohnb Posts: 81Member
I'm having a little difficulty accessing extended file names. I'm using TP 5.5, and I'm getting errors out the ying-yang while trying to create and write to a file that uses the extended file name convention. I think I'm going to scrap what I have and start from the beginning on this part of the program. Any suggestions on a way to insure extended file names will be acceptable to the compiler and the program also not generate runtime errors? Thank's in advance....

Delljohnb

(GRRRR....frustrating....)

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I'm having a little difficulty accessing extended file names. I'm using TP 5.5, and I'm getting errors out the ying-yang while trying to create and write to a file that uses the extended file name convention. I think I'm going to scrap what I have and start from the beginning on this part of the program. Any suggestions on a way to insure extended file names will be acceptable to the compiler and the program also not generate runtime errors? Thank's in advance....
    :
    : Delljohnb
    :
    :
    : (GRRRR....frustrating....)
    :
    TP 5.5 can only handle filenames the old DOS way (8.3). The only thing you can do is validate the user-entered filenames, and save them using the short path names.
    If you want to include long filenames, you'll need to change to a 32-bit Pascal compiler such as FreePascal.
  • delljohnbdelljohnb Posts: 81Member
    : : I'm having a little difficulty accessing extended file names. I'm using TP 5.5, and I'm getting errors out the ying-yang while trying to create and write to a file that uses the extended file name convention. I think I'm going to scrap what I have and start from the beginning on this part of the program. Any suggestions on a way to insure extended file names will be acceptable to the compiler and the program also not generate runtime errors? Thank's in advance....
    : :
    : : Delljohnb
    : : (GRRRR....frustrating....)
    : TP 5.5 can only handle filenames the old DOS way (8.3). The only thing you can do is validate the user-entered filenames, and save them using the short path names.
    : If you want to include long filenames, you'll need to change to a 32-bit Pascal compiler such as FreePascal.
    :
    Drats.....oh well. Yeah, I think that the LFNsupport() function should do it. I'm more familiar with TP and I guess I was just hoping that I had forgotten a dirty little trick or something. All my internal code is clear and works fine, but there will be a small amount of user input, so I'm trying to make the program very robust, and I came upon the possibility that long format names might be used. :-( Ah.....the old days......when users actually knew how computers worked....LOL. Thanks for the responce.

Delljohnb