Microsoft vs Unix and open source - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Microsoft vs Unix and open source

Hello

I am a confused person. Unix delivers many great new ideas yet windows seems to be the platform for today. I think I will go to unix but I need a second opinion. Prove to me that I should take Windows over Unix.
[green][size=5][b][italic]Modukan[/italic][/b][/size][/green]
:-D

Comments

• veliusvelius Posts: 456Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by velius at 2003-9-23 11:59:19[/red][/b][hr]
    Windows is the most accepted OS for the end user. It is easy to dive in feet first and get going. It also has the best game library.
    Unix is far more stable than Windows. Unix is the most used OS for email servers and data servers by companies. Hell Microsoft uses freeBSD to run the hotmail site.
    Linux and opensource is the cheapest way to go. It is just as stable as Unix. It is used by many of companies such as IBM and HP for high end servers. That means the cost of ownership is very low. Don't be scared by the SCO lawsuit agaist IBM. It is bullshit. Of course they might win since an elderly lady won 4 million dollars from McDonald over hot coffee.

Any ways you could use them all. I use Linux, Windows XP professional, and Windows 98SE.

By the way this thread does not belong here. Please don't post non programming questions again. Thank you.
    [hr]
    When it came down to it I dropped everything and ran.
    -Ramza Final Fantasy Tactics

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : Hello
    :
    : I am a confused person. Unix delivers many great new ideas yet windows seems to be the platform for today. I think I will go to unix but I need a second opinion. Prove to me that I should take Windows over Unix.
    : [green][size=5][b][italic]Modukan[/italic][/b][/size][/green]
    : :-D
    :
    [blue]UNIX maybe good as a server system, but as good GUI for a clients (normal people) - Windows is the one. Go with what dominates the market and it is Windows.[/blue]
  • pingpongpingpong Posts: 937Member
    : Hello
    :
    : I am a confused person. Unix delivers many great new ideas yet windows seems to be the platform for today. I think I will go to unix but I need a second opinion. Prove to me that I should take Windows over Unix.
    : [green][size=5][b][italic]Modukan[/italic][/b][/size][/green]
    : :-D
    :
    Modukan,

I agree with what the folks said, Windows is best suited for the desktop, Unix/Linux for the server.

However, why do you want to take one over the other? Why not both? Since this is a programming site I presume you are talking about coding in one OS or the other.

Most development environment are available for both, there are tons of cross platform libraries for just about anything you need to do.

So, concentrate on the language (C, C++, Java, VB, C#, Perl, Python, etc) and the technology (Graphics, web, UI, etc) you want to learn. The OS does not matter.

Whatever you do, dont get involved in any idiological nonsense over what OS to use. This is stupid and a complete waste of time and energy.