Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How to run Java server pages

I will need to be able to run java server pages on my computer but my computer is not a server. I am using windows 2000 and in the version it allows me to change the state of my computer, from a client to server but I have never done this before and even though i should be in an experimenting mood, I would like someone to tell me the easiest way with windows 2000 to use succesfully java server pages. I would love any length or info or at least a link to somewhere that can explain it .

Comments

• treshrtreshr Member Posts: 326
    You have to have the application server to run JSP pages.
    Just go to this url, download the latest stable build for windows and read the documentation. It works almost the same as a normal webserver, but you have to know certain elements to fully use the server.

Go to this url: http://apache.mirror.rokscom.nl/jakarta/tomcat-4/binaries/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27.exe

Hope this helps you on your way.

--=][tReShR][=--

• ricosuavericosuave Member Posts: 33
    I thank you for your time. I will try it.

: You have to have the application server to run JSP pages.
    : Just go to this url, download the latest stable build for windows and read the documentation. It works almost the same as a normal webserver, but you have to know certain elements to fully use the server.
    :
    : Go to this url: http://apache.mirror.rokscom.nl/jakarta/tomcat-4/binaries/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.27.exe
    :
    : Hope this helps you on your way.
    :
    :
    : --=][tReShR][=--
    :
    :

• fzammettifzammetti Member Posts: 68
    Just to clarify something... there is no need to switch your OS from client to server. That will just set aside some extra memory and such to optimize for incoming requests. Unless your running a production server, this is not a concern (and if you were doing that, you'd buy a server-class OS anyway!)

The only thing that makes any computer a "server" is software that responds to incoming requests. That's it. Granted, a true "server-class" machine is usually more robust, but it's not at all a requirement.

As the other poster said, your best bet to get started is Tomcat. It's free and it quite simple to get up and running, at least at it's most basic level. You'll need to have the JDK installed prior to installing Tomcat remember.

After that, the simplest thing to do is just put your JSP's in one of the pre-existing application folders. You don't even have to create your own webapp in the beginning. You'll want to do that soon enough, but just to get started you don't have to.

So, don't even think about chaning any setting on your PC (except firewall setting, if you have one running). Just install the JDK and Tomcat and you'll be all set.

: I will need to be able to run java server pages on my computer but my computer is not a server. I am using windows 2000 and in the version it allows me to change the state of my computer, from a client to server but I have never done this before and even though i should be in an experimenting mood, I would like someone to tell me the easiest way with windows 2000 to use succesfully java server pages. I would love any length or info or at least a link to somewhere that can explain it .
    :