Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

OpenGL color shade problem/color depth

I have a problem with color shading. I work with OGL in 32Bit mode. When I display sprites with an alpha channel (4 color bits for each pixel), everthing works fine (even though I do not use it when drawing it). But as soon as I display sprites without an alpha channel (3 color bits for each pixel), the image is displayed in kind of 16 bit mode and i get some color problems (shadings etc).

The Pixelformat is configured with 32 Bit alpha and z-buffer as well as PFD_TYPE_RGA.

I found out that this problem does not occur on all systems, only on one.

Does somebody have an idea what is going wrong or how to fix it?

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : The Pixelformat is configured with 32 Bit alpha and z-buffer as well as PFD_TYPE_RGA.
    :
    : I found out that this problem does not occur on all systems, only on one.

First off, don't you mean "PFD_TYPE_RGBA"?
    Next, if the system you're having problems with has an ATI card, ignore the problem. ATIs are NOT 100% GL-compliant and the only way around the problem is to do the unsupported function in software, like D3D does. If it ISN'T an ATI or cheap Matrox or something off the wall, post the video card specs and name, and I'll see what I can find.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• BuxeBuxe Posts: 8Member
    : First off, don't you mean "PFD_TYPE_RGBA"?

Oops.

: If the system you're having problems with has an ATI card ignore the problem

Ok, the system has an ATI Radeon card. Thanks a lot for your quick and helpful reply!

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : : First off, don't you mean "PFD_TYPE_RGBA"?
    :
    : Oops.
    :
    : : If the system you're having problems with has an ATI card ignore the problem
    :
    : Ok, the system has an ATI Radeon card. Thanks a lot for your quick and helpful reply!
    :
    :
    :
    I figured as much. People swear by ATI Radeons, but they blame video problems on game developers, when in reality it's only on their card. Glad you caught it and didn't drive yourself insane trying to fix a non-existant problem in your source :p! I always test my code on two GL-compliant cards, my three nVidias, and my old 3dfx Voodoo3/2000. If it runs on all three, as well as a friend's computer who uses a high-end Matrox (yech!) then it is fine. Good luck with your project!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]