Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

i am new to embedded .. help me

hi all,
i am very new to embedded programming, ..i need your help guys, i have no idea where to start, what is required and what to read.

i want to know what is simulator, emulator.. and how to use that tools

Comments

• stoberstober Member Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭
    : hi all,
    : i am very new to embedded programming, ..i need your help guys, i have no idea where to start, what is required and what to read.
    :
    : i want to know what is simulator, emulator.. and how to use that tools
    :
    :
    :

it all depends on the operating system you want to use. For WinCE, here's the Microsoft news group

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp

then click on Mobile and Embedded Development

• eowyneowyn Member Posts: 14
    Hi,
    I am using Wince and embedded visual C++. How should I start?

Thanks and regards,
    Eowyn

: Hi,
    : I am using Wince and embedded visual C++. How should I start?
    :
    :
    : Thanks and regards,
    : Eowyn
    :
    :

you need to know Win32 API functions and optionally MFC. WinCE does not have a console mode or streams (such as fstream, iostream, etc.). Some platforms to support FILE functions and VC++ 4.0 intruduced exception handling.

So, if you don't know Windows programming, then start learning with a PC compiler for Windows 2000/XP.

Once you have that down, you will need to buy some hardware. I program for a PocketPC 2002 device made by Symbols Technologies. There are lots of other hardware devices that you can get which are a lot less expensive.

For the GUI functionality of your programs it is easier to develop and debug on the emulator. eVC++ 3.0 and 4.0 both come with free emulators. Which emulators to use depends on what hardware platforms you want to use.

• eowyneowyn Member Posts: 14
    Hi,
    I am going to change the dialog based graphics user interface into a text command user interface, means no more graphics/dialog. User only can access to the system by enter the command like in dos. I have to use the Embedded Visual C++ and Platform builder to build this interface. Where should I start from?

Thanks and regards,
    Eowyn

: Hi,
    : I am going to change the dialog based graphics user interface into a text command user interface, means no more graphics/dialog. User only can access to the system by enter the command like in dos. I have to use the Embedded Visual C++ and Platform builder to build this interface. Where should I start from?
    :
    : Thanks and regards,
    : Eowyn
    :
    :

I appologize for taking SOOOO long to answer your question, hopefully you have already found the answer. You can't create a DOS-style command-line interface in WinCE. WinCE only supports Windows programs, ActiveX controls and in-process serveres.