Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

login failed

Hi I'm making a front end in VB6.0 sp5 fore a customer db
and it worked fine with access
but i cant connect to the sql server.

i only get the folowing error
[code]login failed for user 'username', Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection[/code]

when i try to conect throu my dataenvironment.
any ideas

I'w never had this problem earlyer...
but it is a new install....
hmmmmmmm

Comments

• DaedaliusDaedalius Member Posts: 30
    It sounds like you are attempting to make a connection to the SQL Server database using Windows authentication. Does the SQL box belong to the same domain as the domain that you sign into on the machine that is experiencing the problem?

: Hi I'm making a front end in VB6.0 sp5 fore a customer db
    : and it worked fine with access
    : but i cant connect to the sql server.
    :
    : i only get the folowing error
    : [code]login failed for user 'username', Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection[/code]
    :
    : when i try to conect throu my dataenvironment.
    : any ideas
    :
    : I'w never had this problem earlyer...
    : but it is a new install....
    : hmmmmmmm
    :
    :

• leif_the_beistleif_the_beist Member Posts: 38

actually its not inn a domain shuld it be.
    they are in the same workgroup now but that dident make a diference
    hmmm I'll try to make a domain to se if that works.

by the way i'w tryed using both integrated nt security and a spesifick user
    tryed making a user and so on in ms sql
    also tryed using sa
    I get and error everytime

: It sounds like you are attempting to make a connection to the SQL Server database using Windows authentication. Does the SQL box belong to the same domain as the domain that you sign into on the machine that is experiencing the problem?
    :
    : : Hi I'm making a front end in VB6.0 sp5 fore a customer db
    : : and it worked fine with access
    : : but i cant connect to the sql server.
    : :
    : : i only get the folowing error
    : : [code]login failed for user 'username', Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection[/code]
    : : when i try to conect throu my dataenvironment.
    : : any ideas
    : : I'w never had this problem earlyer...
    : : but it is a new install....
    : : hmmmmmmm
    :
    :

If you are using SQL Server authentication then you do not need the machine in the domain. However, if your error message always contains
    [code]
    Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection
    [/code]
    in it then somewhere in your setup you are attempting to use Windows authentication. I'll make the assumption that you are attempting to connect to the SQL Server box through ODBC and that somewhere you have set the connection to Windows authentication.

:
    : actually its not inn a domain shuld it be.
    : they are in the same workgroup now but that dident make a diference
    : hmmm I'll try to make a domain to se if that works.
    :
    : by the way i'w tryed using both integrated nt security and a spesifick user
    : tryed making a user and so on in ms sql
    : also tryed using sa
    : I get and error everytime
    :
    :
    : : It sounds like you are attempting to make a connection to the SQL Server database using Windows authentication. Does the SQL box belong to the same domain as the domain that you sign into on the machine that is experiencing the problem?
    : : : Hi I'm making a front end in VB6.0 sp5 fore a customer db
    : : : and it worked fine with access
    : : : but i cant connect to the sql server.
    : : :
    : : : i only get the folowing error
    : : : [code]login failed for user 'username', Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection[/code]
    : : : when i try to conect throu my dataenvironment.
    : : : any ideas
    : : : I'w never had this problem earlyer...
    : : : but it is a new install....
    : : : hmmmmmmm
    :
    :

• GideonOmegaGideonOmega Member Posts: 617
    From my experience, if you try to log into a sql server database with window's Auth. your windows username and password must match the account granted to you on the server.

Hope this helps.

p.s. if you are planning on using window's auth, you should set up a dsn, much easier to use, and it allows you to check to see if you can connect to the server with your window's auth.

: If you are using SQL Server authentication then you do not need the machine in the domain. However, if your error message always contains
    : [code]
    : Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection
    : [/code]
    : in it then somewhere in your setup you are attempting to use Windows authentication. I'll make the assumption that you are attempting to connect to the SQL Server box through ODBC and that somewhere you have set the connection to Windows authentication.
    :
    :
    : : actually its not inn a domain shuld it be.
    : : they are in the same workgroup now but that dident make a diference
    : : hmmm I'll try to make a domain to se if that works.
    : : by the way i'w tryed using both integrated nt security and a spesifick user
    : : tryed making a user and so on in ms sql
    : : also tryed using sa
    : : I get and error everytime
    : : : It sounds like you are attempting to make a connection to the SQL Server database using Windows authentication. Does the SQL box belong to the same domain as the domain that you sign into on the machine that is experiencing the problem?
    : : : : Hi I'm making a front end in VB6.0 sp5 fore a customer db
    : : : : and it worked fine with access
    : : : : but i cant connect to the sql server.
    : : : :
    : : : : i only get the folowing error
    : : : : [code]login failed for user 'username', Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection[/code]
    : : : : when i try to conect throu my dataenvironment.
    : : : : any ideas
    : : : : I'w never had this problem earlyer...
    : : : : but it is a new install....
    : : : : hmmmmmmm
    :
    :

There should not be an account for you on the server. The account should be a domain account.

Granted I have experienced what you are describing. However, that occurred to me in an environment where they had Novell running. Users would sign into Novell and Novell under the covers would sign into the machine (this meant that a user needed to have a local account on the SQL Server machine).

: From my experience, if you try to log into a sql server database with window's Auth. your windows username and password must match the account granted to you on the server.
    :
    : Hope this helps.
    :
    : p.s. if you are planning on using window's auth, you should set up a dsn, much easier to use, and it allows you to check to see if you can connect to the server with your window's auth.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : : If you are using SQL Server authentication then you do not need the machine in the domain. However, if your error message always contains
    : : [code]
    : : Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection
    : : [/code]
    : : in it then somewhere in your setup you are attempting to use Windows authentication. I'll make the assumption that you are attempting to connect to the SQL Server box through ODBC and that somewhere you have set the connection to Windows authentication.
    : : : actually its not inn a domain shuld it be.
    : : : they are in the same workgroup now but that dident make a diference
    : : : hmmm I'll try to make a domain to se if that works.
    : : : by the way i'w tryed using both integrated nt security and a spesifick user
    : : : tryed making a user and so on in ms sql
    : : : also tryed using sa
    : : : I get and error everytime
    : : : : It sounds like you are attempting to make a connection to the SQL Server database using Windows authentication. Does the SQL box belong to the same domain as the domain that you sign into on the machine that is experiencing the problem?
    : : : : : Hi I'm making a front end in VB6.0 sp5 fore a customer db
    : : : : : and it worked fine with access
    : : : : : but i cant connect to the sql server.
    : : : : :
    : : : : : i only get the folowing error
    : : : : : [code]login failed for user 'username', Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection[/code]
    : : : : : when i try to conect throu my dataenvironment.
    : : : : : any ideas
    : : : : : I'w never had this problem earlyer...
    : : : : : but it is a new install....
    : : : : : hmmmmmmm
    :
    :

• GideonOmegaGideonOmega Member Posts: 617
    one other thing to note with window's auth on a sql server, when running novell as a login, windows will take your username and password from novell and try to make a pwl file which is what sql server will try to use, I belive.

: There should not be an account for you on the server. The account should be a domain account.
    :
    : Granted I have experienced what you are describing. However, that occurred to me in an environment where they had Novell running. Users would sign into Novell and Novell under the covers would sign into the machine (this meant that a user needed to have a local account on the SQL Server machine).
    :
    : : From my experience, if you try to log into a sql server database with window's Auth. your windows username and password must match the account granted to you on the server.
    : : Hope this helps.
    : : p.s. if you are planning on using window's auth, you should set up a dsn, much easier to use, and it allows you to check to see if you can connect to the server with your window's auth.
    : : : If you are using SQL Server authentication then you do not need the machine in the domain. However, if your error message always contains
    : : : [code]
    : : : Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection
    : : : [/code]
    : : : in it then somewhere in your setup you are attempting to use Windows authentication. I'll make the assumption that you are attempting to connect to the SQL Server box through ODBC and that somewhere you have set the connection to Windows authentication.
    : : : : actually its not inn a domain shuld it be.
    : : : : they are in the same workgroup now but that dident make a diference
    : : : : hmmm I'll try to make a domain to se if that works.
    : : : : by the way i'w tryed using both integrated nt security and a spesifick user
    : : : : tryed making a user and so on in ms sql
    : : : : also tryed using sa
    : : : : I get and error everytime
    : : : : : It sounds like you are attempting to make a connection to the SQL Server database using Windows authentication. Does the SQL box belong to the same domain as the domain that you sign into on the machine that is experiencing the problem?
    : : : : : : Hi I'm making a front end in VB6.0 sp5 fore a customer db
    : : : : : : and it worked fine with access
    : : : : : : but i cant connect to the sql server.
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : : i only get the folowing error
    : : : : : : [code]login failed for user 'username', Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection[/code]
    : : : : : : when i try to conect throu my dataenvironment.
    : : : : : : any ideas
    : : : : : : I'w never had this problem earlyer...
    : : : : : : but it is a new install....
    : : : : : : hmmmmmmm