Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Help with good starting out Book

Hello to all,
I have just become interested in software programming and have several questions. I can write Html, have dabbled in javascript enough to understand it, and just starting to look over CSS. I called our local college yesterday for classes on software programming that start in January.
Will knowledge of html and javascript be of any benefit to me? And before
I go to class in Jan., can anyone reccomend me to a good beginners online tutorial? A good book that I could purchase would also be appreciated.
I have read through the posts here, and most are seeming to suggest Delphi as a good starter. I have another question though. When I went to download, it is offering two versions, one in ftp and one in html. I know what both stand for, but which one should I choose and why?
Why would a program be offered in file transfer protocol anyway? The question may sound silly to you more experienced, but it just hasn't "clicked" with me yet, so hope you can offer help with this too.
Thanks for your valuable time, and help in advance.
Nicci

Comments

• Josh CodeJosh Code Posts: 675Member
    : Hello to all,
    : I have just become interested in software programming and have several questions. I can write Html, have dabbled in javascript enough to understand it, and just starting to look over CSS. I called our local college yesterday for classes on software programming that start in January.
    : Will knowledge of html and javascript be of any benefit to me? And before
    : I go to class in Jan., can anyone reccomend me to a good beginners online tutorial? A good book that I could purchase would also be appreciated.
    : I have read through the posts here, and most are seeming to suggest Delphi as a good starter. I have another question though. When I went to download, it is offering two versions, one in ftp and one in html. I know what both stand for, but which one should I choose and why?
    : Why would a program be offered in file transfer protocol anyway? The question may sound silly to you more experienced, but it just hasn't "clicked" with me yet, so hope you can offer help with this too.
    : Thanks for your valuable time, and help in advance.
    : Nicci
    :

Being able to use JavaScript can help. Knowing html, css will only help if the courses deal with Internet development. The ability to write and understand JavaScript functions, loops, methods, properties... can help if you want to learn c++, Java... and other programming languages. You can't really learn JavaScript without already knowing HTML though.

Here is a site with HTML, JavaScript and more tutorials about Internet programming.
    http://www.w3schools.com/

I'm guessing about the ftp course. maybe it is teaching how to use ftp. Explaining how to manage files with ftp, how ftp works...