What is better OnIdle or CTimer ????

When you are creating a game , you want to run it fast and steady , so that's why i want to show 30 frames per second, not 1 .

I use MFC , and i have this problem ,when i use CTimer,i set the interval to 1 , to run the game as fast as possible ,but that's not enough ,on fast computer that would be ok,but for exemple 200 Mhz , it would run slowly (for me).

Recently i 've discovered MFC function OnIdle ( this function is called when there arent any messages sent to application), it's far more better than CTimer ,but i has bugs too.When there arent any messages , i call my Draw function , and do other stuff. But that 's not a good programming , i think ...

So any advice would be appreciated.

P.S.
When i call OnIdle ,
i use GetTickCount to calculate how much time has passed..

Comments

• : When you are creating a game , you want to run it fast and steady , so that's why i want to show 30 frames per second, not 1 .
    :
    : I use MFC , and i have this problem ,when i use CTimer,i set the interval to 1 , to run the game as fast as possible ,but that's not enough ,on fast computer that would be ok,but for exemple 200 Mhz , it would run slowly (for me).
    :
    : Recently i 've discovered MFC function OnIdle ( this function is called when there arent any messages sent to application), it's far more better than CTimer ,but i has bugs too.When there arent any messages , i call my Draw function , and do other stuff. But that 's not a good programming , i think ...
    :
    : So any advice would be appreciated.
    :
    : P.S.
    : When i call OnIdle ,
    : i use GetTickCount to calculate how much time has passed..
    :

I surely think OnIdle is good compared to CTimer. Actually i programmed in Win32 not MFC where i wrote all my game code in the messageloop.
    like below:
    WinMain(.............)
    {
    // perform initilizations, create window etc....
    while(1)
    {
    PeekMessage(&msg,hwnd,0,0,PM_REMOVE))
    if(msg.message == WM_QUIT)
    break;

Main_Game_Func();
    }
    return 0;
    }

It is not the entire code but something like this.
    The idea is to use most of the CPU for our gaming purpose rather then processing messages. So i think CTimer is not suggested. Also i think CTimer has lower priority then other messages so the game may not run smoothly.