Using existing source files in KDevelop - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using existing source files in KDevelop

MatthewDMatthewD Posts: 297Member
Hi all,

I am just getting started with KDevelop.

I currently have a project that I'm developing in MS Visual Studio, which resides on a Fat32 partition (mounted by Linux). I would love to be able to continue developing it now in KDev. I am required to maintain the Visual Studio project by my company. So I need to access all those existing files, and modify them (I cannot maintain 2 source trees). The project is a console project written in standard C++. So this shouldn't be a problem.

I created a new KDev console project in my home directory. I created a Hello World main file and built it. Things are looking good.

But when I tried to add existing files, it makes a copy of them in the project directory. This is not what I'm looking for, as I would then have 2 copies of each source file.

I tried soft linking to each file, but when I added them to the KDev project, it said that the files didn't exist.

Any suggestions here (and general comments about simultaneous Visual Studio and KDev project development)?

Thanks a lot.

• abcabc Posts: 443Member
    kind of a roundabout way - put the sources in cvs (on the win partition), then just check out what you need in the kdev/msvc directories.