Fighting spam in a small way - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Fighting spam in a small way

blipblip Posts: 756Member
I decided to write a cheap little javascript that had an encrypted (extremely simple) e-mail address (mine, lol) and it would be decrypted for the user to be able to e-mail you. This may sound stupid, to encrypt it just to decrypt it, but spammers use programs to search for e-mail addresses in pages all over the internet and this will hide it. Well, unless of course they decide to script the page, which is unlikely. Like I said, it's pretty cheap and could've been written much better. Go ahead and improve it if you like and use it if you want.

[code]

[/code]

Comments

• WaltPWaltP Posts: 335Member
    : I decided to write a cheap little javascript that had an encrypted (extremely simple) e-mail address (mine, lol) and it would be decrypted for the user to be able to e-mail you. This may sound stupid, to encrypt it just to decrypt it, but spammers use programs to search for e-mail addresses in pages all over the internet and this will hide it. Well, unless of course they decide to script the page, which is unlikely. Like I said, it's pretty cheap and could've been written much better. Go ahead and improve it if you like and use it if you want.
    :
    : [code]
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : [/code]
    :

Take a look at the one I wrote at http://wildeware.com under utilities. There are offline versions available for GUI and Command line.

----------------
    Walt

• blipblip Posts: 756Member
    I once saw a CGI that returned many megs worth of plain text fake e-mail addresses for spam bots to chew up. Would you happen to know where it is?