Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

NetBSD

BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
Some time ago I had downloaded NetBSD. I was able to install it, but the configuration was horrible. Are there any docs or tuts that I can read to help me get NetBSD configured next time I decide to install it? BTW, the docs that I found on the NetBSD site were very little help. They took me step by step, but I think a few steps were missing. I couldn't even set up a user account because the adduser program the install docs mentioned did not work the way they said. I did manage to get X configured, but none of the window managers (blackbox, qvwm, waimea) I compiled for it would work because they couldn't find the libraries they were linked to. I know the libraries were there because I found them exactly where they were suppose to be. I know NetBSD can be a great system if configured properly, the problem i had was configuring it. I was looking forward to building a great system from mostly sources on top of NetBSD. I would appreciate any pointers and advice. TY

Comments

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    Hi,

I haven't worked much with NetBSD. I am not sure if NetBSD works the same way as other Unix clones. But regarding X-windows and window manager, you should be able to manually edit .xinitrc in your local profile or in the root profile and to execute the window manager you wish to choose. Secondly as an initial install I would not suggest a source install but a binary install. Get used the Unix and then when most is figured out build through source. Well thats just the way I am.

: Some time ago I had downloaded NetBSD. I was able to install it, but the configuration was horrible. Are there any docs or tuts that I can read to help me get NetBSD configured next time I decide to install it? BTW, the docs that I found on the NetBSD site were very little help. They took me step by step, but I think a few steps were missing. I couldn't even set up a user account because the adduser program the install docs mentioned did not work the way they said. I did manage to get X configured, but none of the window managers (blackbox, qvwm, waimea) I compiled for it would work because they couldn't find the libraries they were linked to. I know the libraries were there because I found them exactly where they were suppose to be. I know NetBSD can be a great system if configured properly, the problem i had was configuring it. I was looking forward to building a great system from mostly sources on top of NetBSD. I would appreciate any pointers and advice. TY
    :
    :