File transfer via serial port - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

File transfer via serial port

rickratrickrat Posts: 55Member
Hey,

I am trying to send files via the comm port. I am able to do so w/ text files, however, i am not able to send executable files. When i tell my program to send an exe file from one computer to another it will copy the file from the first computer to the second but if i open it w/ a hex editor, it will not look anything like the orig. file.

Do you know of a way to copy an exe file via the comm port?

thanks!

Comments

• BitByBit_ThorBitByBit_Thor Posts: 2,444Member
    : Hey,
    :
    : I am trying to send files via the comm port. I am able to do so w/ text files, however, i am not able to send executable files. When i tell my program to send an exe file from one computer to another it will copy the file from the first computer to the second but if i open it w/ a hex editor, it will not look anything like the orig. file.
    :
    : Do you know of a way to copy an exe file via the comm port?
    :
    : thanks!
    :

What control (Maybe even API) are you using??? Maybe you send it as text, while you should actually send the file as a piece of binary data!

Greets...
    Richard

• rickratrickrat Posts: 55Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by rickrat at 2003-8-14 7:52:21[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by rickrat at 2003-8-14 7:51:24[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hey,
    : :
    : : I am trying to send files via the comm port. I am able to do so w/ text files, however, i am not able to send executable files. When i tell my program to send an exe file from one computer to another it will copy the file from the first computer to the second but if i open it w/ a hex editor, it will not look anything like the orig. file.
    : : Do you know of a way to copy an exe file via the comm port?
    : : thanks!
    :
    : What control (Maybe even API) are you using??? Maybe you send it as text, while you should actually send the file as a piece of binary data!
    :
    : Greets...
    : Richard
    :
    :
    I'm using the MSComm control, i know i have to open the exe file in binary, at least i think i have to, but i am not quite sure as to how to do that. I think one of the problems that i am getting is that when i open the code on the first computer before it is sent over, it is not opening correctly.
    Right now i am using this code just to open the program:

Dim intCounter As Integer, intFile As Integer, Char$
    intFile = FreeFile()
    Open "C:hi.exe" For Binary As intFile
    For intCounter = 1 To LOF(intFile)
    Char$ = Input$(1, #intFile)
    txtInput.Text = txtInput.Text & Char$
    Next
    Close intFile

Any idea's?

Also, one thing that you could do as a good example:
    1. Make an executable file that just simply display's a message box to the user and then ends.
    2. Take that file and change it from *.exe to *.txt and open it w/ notepad
    3. copy the contents of the file to another *.txt file and rename the new *.txt file as a *.exe file
    4. you will notice that the program will not run, but will be in the form as a dos prompt, or command prompt

if i can find a way to copy the contents from one exe file to another i think that will be the answer that i am looking for.

: [b][red]This message was edited by rickrat at 2003-8-14 7:52:21[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by rickrat at 2003-8-14 7:51:24[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : Hey,
    : : :
    : : : I am trying to send files via the comm port. I am able to do so w/ text files, however, i am not able to send executable files. When i tell my program to send an exe file from one computer to another it will copy the file from the first computer to the second but if i open it w/ a hex editor, it will not look anything like the orig. file.
    : : : Do you know of a way to copy an exe file via the comm port?
    : : : thanks!
    : : What control (Maybe even API) are you using??? Maybe you send it as text, while you should actually send the file as a piece of binary data!
    : : Greets...
    : : Richard
    : I'm using the MSComm control, i know i have to open the exe file in binary, at least i think i have to, but i am not quite sure as to how to do that. I think one of the problems that i am getting is that when i open the code on the first computer before it is sent over, it is not opening correctly.
    : Right now i am using this code just to open the program:
    :
    :
    : Dim intCounter As Integer, intFile As Integer, Char$
    : intFile = FreeFile()
    : Open "C:hi.exe" For Binary As intFile
    : For intCounter = 1 To LOF(intFile)
    : Char$ = Input$(1, #intFile)
    : txtInput.Text = txtInput.Text & Char$
    : Next
    : Close intFile
    :
    : Any idea's?
    :
    : Also, one thing that you could do as a good example:
    : 1. Make an executable file that just simply display's a message box to the user and then ends.
    : 2. Take that file and change it from *.exe to *.txt and open it w/ notepad
    : 3. copy the contents of the file to another *.txt file and rename the new *.txt file as a *.exe file
    : 4. you will notice that the program will not run, but will be in the form as a dos prompt, or command prompt
    :
    : if i can find a way to copy the contents from one exe file to another i think that will be the answer that i am looking for.
    :
    :
    :
    :

That's because EXE files have alot of character 0's in them. A character 0 in a string indicates the end of that string! That can cause confusing situations. You have to open the file in a different way.

Use:
    [code]
    Dim intCounter As Integer, intFile As Integer
    Dim bytData() As Byte

intFile = FreeFile()
    Open "C:hi.exe" For Binary As intFile
    ReDim bytData(0 To Len("c:hi.exe") - 1)
    Get intFile, , bytData
    Close intFile
    [/code]

Now bytData() contains the entire file. Now I don't know the Comm Control, so I don't know how you have to send it over, but now you can just loop trough the array and send each byte individually!

Let me know what you think...

Greets...
    Richard

• johny780johny780 Posts: 1Member
    hi... BitByBit_Thor
    can i have your source code??
    I am trying to send a text file using mscommm control... But i do not know how to do it.... For example: I have a file called ID.txt in c: , how do i send ID.txt through the serial port using mscomm control? Can ya show me a sample code? I need to complete a school project urgently, the submission is in 2 days time. Can u teach me or tell me how to do it???
    Can ya email me with the source code to [email protected] ?
    Thank you very much, hope u will reply me soon....
    : hi... BitByBit_Thor
    : can i have your source code??
    : I am trying to send a text file using mscommm control... But i do not know how to do it.... For example: I have a file called ID.txt in c: , how do i send ID.txt through the serial port using mscomm control? Can ya show me a sample code? I need to complete a school project urgently, the submission is in 2 days time. Can u teach me or tell me how to do it???
    : Can ya email me with the source code to [email protected] ?
    : Thank you very much, hope u will reply me soon....
    :

I send you an e-mail. I forgot to add this question: Do you know how to read the file and place the data into a string?

Greets...
    Richard

• mrjustmrjust Posts: 1Member
    Hi... BitByBit_Thor
    im working on data tranfer using comm port, and im not able to send file or receive it using comm port to another computer. its a little project in my university, i want u please send to me by e-mail the source of ur work, i need it quickly within these two days, and im very thankful.

my email is: [email protected]

Regards

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Posts: 3,948Member
    : That's because EXE files have alot of character 0's in them. A character 0 in a string indicates the end of that string! That can cause confusing situations. You have to open the file in a different way.
    :

And because Input generally destroys the data in a file. In text files, you don't notice because it fixes the data by the time you get it. Chr$(0) and either vbCr or vbLf (I forget which of the two) are all reinterpreted as vbCrLf.

You can also use:

: [code]
    : Dim intCounter As Integer, intFile As Integer
    : Dim bytData [b]As String[/b]
    :
    : intFile = FreeFile()
    : Open "C:hi.exe" For Binary As intFile
    : bytData [b]= Space(LOF(intFile))[/b]
    : Get intFile, , bytData
    : Close intFile
    : [/code]
    :

And the [b]Len("C:hi.exe")[/b] should have been [b]LOF(intFile)[/b] or [b]FileLen("C:hi.exe")[/b].

: Now bytData() contains the entire file. Now I don't know the Comm Control, so I don't know how you have to send it over, but now you can just loop trough the array and send each byte individually!
    :

I think MSComm will accept either a string or a byte array, because VB will often allow you to substitute one for the other. If it does allow the byte array, I would suggest using it instead of a string as it should be read faster (VB does an internal conversion on strings to unicode).