Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

News Page

I want to use JDBC-ODBC to access a database that stores the news entires. Only problem is that I can't figure out how to create the database, I understand how to connect and retrieve information from it, but I don't have a database.

So if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Comments

• treshrtreshr Member Posts: 326
    I can assume that you're trying to get to a database on your own server because if you don't you have to ask your hosting provider to get you a database.

If you do run the webserver on a local server you can download MySQL from http://www.mysql.com .
    MySQL is free and if you download the "Control Center" you can easily create and drop databases, create and delete tables etc etc.

I hope that you're using tags to create a database connection,. otherwise you're doing a lot of extra work for nothing. Try to use tags as much as you can because JSP is evolving to a language that is gonna be only tags and that means that the programmer doesn't have to use so much code as before.

Hope this answered your question.

--=][tReShR][=--

• Twin_One1Twin_One1 Member Posts: 4
    [b][red]This message was edited by Twin_One1 at 2003-8-21 4:5:5[/red][/b][hr]
    Well I'm using a tomcat server on my computer and from what I get that has all I need to use databases?

What tags would those be?

: I can assume that you're trying to get to a database on your own server because if you don't you have to ask your hosting provider to get you a database.
    :
    : If you do run the webserver on a local server you can download MySQL from http://www.mysql.com .
    : MySQL is free and if you download the "Control Center" you can easily create and drop databases, create and delete tables etc etc.
    :
    : I hope that you're using tags to create a database connection,. otherwise you're doing a lot of extra work for nothing. Try to use tags as much as you can because JSP is evolving to a language that is gonna be only tags and that means that the programmer doesn't have to use so much code as before.
    :
    : Hope this answered your question.
    :
    : --=][tReShR][=--
    :
    :

• treshrtreshr Member Posts: 326
    If you have the standard tag library you have to use the tags.

But if you're smart you buy a book. I used "Java Server Pages" from O'reilly. It is really good and helps you a lot when you're starting.

--=][tReShR][=--