Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

copying/backing up files

anthony78anthony78 Posts: 18Member
Hi,
Is there a way using command copy, xcopy or whatever in dos to copy the entire harddisk contents(including hidden files, system files, everything) to another harddisk?? if so wat is the command like? I have seen it in magazine before but it was quite long time ago(2 years) and i remember the command is very long. dos version is 7.0 (other version also can)

thanks in advance.

Comments

• WaltPWaltP Posts: 335Member
    : Hi,
    : Is there a way using command copy, xcopy or whatever in dos to copy the entire harddisk contents(including hidden files, system files, everything) to another harddisk?? if so wat is the command like? I have seen it in magazine before but it was quite long time ago(2 years) and i remember the command is very long. dos version is 7.0 (other version also can)
    :
    : thanks in advance.
    :

XCOPY /S from the root directory will copy all but empty subdirs.

Use the /? switch for a list of all switches

----------------
    Walt

• anthony78anthony78 Posts: 18Member
    : : Hi,
    : : Is there a way using command copy, xcopy or whatever in dos to copy the entire harddisk contents(including hidden files, system files, everything) to another harddisk?? if so wat is the command like? I have seen it in magazine before but it was quite long time ago(2 years) and i remember the command is very long. dos version is 7.0 (other version also can)
    : :
    : : thanks in advance.
    :
    : XCOPY /S from the root directory will copy all but empty subdirs.
    :
    : Use the /? switch for a list of all switches
    :
    :
    : ----------------
    : Walt
    :
    :
    : xcopy/s will not copy hidden files. if xcopy not available(boot disk) can copy do the same thing? (i remember from a pc magazine i read it can be done....). Anyway thanks Walt.

• WaltPWaltP Posts: 335Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by WaltP at 2003-8-13 16:50:8[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by WaltP at 2003-8-13 16:49:25[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : Hi,
    : : : Is there a way using command copy, xcopy or whatever in dos to copy the entire harddisk contents(including hidden files, system files, everything) to another harddisk?? if so wat is the command like? I have seen it in magazine before but it was quite long time ago(2 years) and i remember the command is very long. dos version is 7.0 (other version also can)
    : : :
    : : : thanks in advance.
    : : :
    : : XCOPY /S from the root directory will copy all but empty subdirs.
    : : Use the /? switch for a list of all switches
    : : ----------------
    : : Walt
    : : xcopy/s will not copy hidden files. if xcopy not available(boot disk) can copy do the same thing? (i remember from a pc magazine i read it can be done....). Anyway thanks Walt.
    :
    No copy won't do it. As I said, check available switches with /? on all DOS/Dos-like commands

Sound like what you want is a stronger file manager. I highly recommend ZTree, a 32-bit version of XTree that has a lot of major enhancements (and more being added almost daily). Check for it at http://ztree.com

----------------
    Walt

I just had a thought -- are you trying to create another bootable hard disk? If so, none of these techniques will work. You'll need to use somethinbg like Norton Ghost, or Drive Copy. There is another program I heard of that will copy hd to hd, but I can't remember the name. The folks on TechTV mentioned it, might check their site.