Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hungarian notation use

In lesson #3 you mention that Microsoft no longer supports Hungarian notation in your discussion about naming conventions. What does "no longer supports" really mean? I like using variables like blnOverRun, lblMessage2 and txtUpdatePrice, etc. Is this not good practice in OO programming? I thought is was!
John J.
Miami, FL

Comments

• frazrasheedfrazrasheed Member Posts: 18
    Well, the conventions involving the use of understore to separate words e.g., my_name is not encouraged any more, instead use myName. Also, the variable names prefixed with type or scope (e.g., i_age for integer or str_message for string or m_i_age for member integer variable) is no longer supported or encouraged. But, offcourse prefixing the control with a short form symbol is still very much liked and supported. I myself like and use btnSave variable for save button and it is 100% according to the .Net notation.

To summarize, now it is discouraged to use underscores '_' in the variable and the words are now separated by using the capital letters e.g., myTheadDelegate

Hope I have cleared the point, thanks for writing
    Faraz

: In lesson #3 you mention that Microsoft no longer supports Hungarian notation in your discussion about naming conventions. What does "no longer supports" really mean? I like using variables like blnOverRun, lblMessage2 and txtUpdatePrice, etc. Is this not good practice in OO programming? I thought is was!
    : John J.
    : Miami, FL
    :
    :