Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Films

leeosleeos Posts: 1,212Member
THE QUIET AMERICAN

Directed by Phillip Noyce.
Starring Michael Caine, Brendan Fraser, Hai Yen.
Produced USA 2002
Certificate 15
Running time 105 mins.

Is there such a thing as "A Quiet American"? Perhaps this guy has been gagged or something.

No offense. Just made me laught when I saw the title of the film. Actually the 'American' is a British guy in a Saigon. Too many British are too quiet ( Including myself ) most of the time.

Comments

• faustinegeorgefaustinegeorge Posts: 351Member
    Too many British are too quiet ( Including myself ) most of the time.
    :
    :
    :

[blue]Really ? Why do I find it a little bit hard to belive ? ;-)
    Just the fact that you started this forum ,prove otherwise ?:D
    [/blue]

Faustine
    --------

• lionblionb Posts: 1,686Member
    : THE QUIET AMERICAN
    :
    : Directed by Phillip Noyce.
    : Starring Michael Caine, Brendan Fraser, Hai Yen.
    : Produced USA 2002
    : Certificate 15
    : Running time 105 mins.
    :
    :
    : Is there such a thing as "A Quiet American"? Perhaps this guy has been gagged or something.
    :
    : No offense. Just made me laught when I saw the title of the film. Actually the 'American' is a British guy in a Saigon. Too many British are too quiet ( Including myself ) most of the time.
    :
    :
    [blue] About subject of this post. When you are saying [b]'film'[/b], most Americans, no matter quite or not, are thinking about roll of plastic :-D:-D:-D:-D not cinematography[/blue]

• leeosleeos Posts: 1,212Member
    : : THE QUIET AMERICAN
    : :
    : : Directed by Phillip Noyce.
    : : Starring Michael Caine, Brendan Fraser, Hai Yen.
    : : Produced USA 2002
    : : Certificate 15
    : : Running time 105 mins.
    : : Is there such a thing as "A Quiet American"? Perhaps this guy has been gagged or something.
    : : No offense. Just made me laught when I saw the title of the film. Actually the 'American' is a British guy in a Saigon. Too many British are too quiet ( Including myself ) most of the time.
    : [blue] About subject of this post. When you are saying [b]'film'[/b], most Americans, no matter quite or not, are thinking about roll of plastic :-D:-D:-D:-D not cinematography[/blue]

Point taken.. Ok Movies then. But to me its a film. Actually I am right. Have you heard of the "Cannes Film Festival"? I think that's quite famous.

And on Quietness. Well, my friends have named a "non speaking disease" after me.. for failing to go in for the kill when Im given oppertunities with the fairer sex. They call it the " Syndrome" Actaully, since they started this name calling they have also been infected. ;-)

Usually this is caused by being either too drunk to speak properly or stone cold sober.

• lionblionb Posts: 1,686Member
    : : : THE QUIET AMERICAN
    : : :
    : : : Directed by Phillip Noyce.
    : : : Starring Michael Caine, Brendan Fraser, Hai Yen.
    : : : Produced USA 2002
    : : : Certificate 15
    : : : Running time 105 mins.
    : : : Is there such a thing as "A Quiet American"? Perhaps this guy has been gagged or something.
    : : : No offense. Just made me laught when I saw the title of the film. Actually the 'American' is a British guy in a Saigon. Too many British are too quiet ( Including myself ) most of the time.
    : : [blue] About subject of this post. When you are saying [b]'film'[/b], most Americans, no matter quite or not, are thinking about roll of plastic :-D:-D:-D:-D not cinematography[/blue]
    :
    : Point taken.. Ok Movies then. But to me its a film.
    [blue] Same here. Do not forget I used to leave in Europe and learned reall English in school. About 10 years ago, when I just arrived to the US, I've over heard some conversation between 2 americans. They've been takling using word 'film' in very strange for me manner. One of then said something like that: 'That kind of film is very solid and it's not easy to damaged it'. I could't uderstand how it possible to damage cinemathographical product. I've decided that it was some kind of american idiom/slang about cinematography and ask about it my american friend. It took us a several minutes to understand each other. Then he explained me that Americans call film movie!!!! and word 'film' in American "English" means roll of plastic which is used to produce movie!!![/blue]
    Actually I am right. Have you heard of the "Cannes Film Festival"? I think that's quite famous.
    [blue]Sure I do [/blue]
    :
    : And on Quietness. Well, my friends have named a "non speaking disease" after me.. for failing to go in for the kill when Im given oppertunities with the fairer sex. They call it the " Syndrome" Actaully, since they started this name calling they have also been infected. ;-)
    :
    : Usually this is caused by being either too drunk to speak properly or stone cold sober.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

: : : : THE QUIET AMERICAN
    : : : :
    : : : : Directed by Phillip Noyce.
    : : : : Starring Michael Caine, Brendan Fraser, Hai Yen.
    : : : : Produced USA 2002
    : : : : Certificate 15
    : : : : Running time 105 mins.
    : : : : Is there such a thing as "A Quiet American"? Perhaps this guy has been gagged or something.
    : : : : No offense. Just made me laught when I saw the title of the film. Actually the 'American' is a British guy in a Saigon. Too many British are too quiet ( Including myself ) most of the time.
    : : : [blue] About subject of this post. When you are saying [b]'film'[/b], most Americans, no matter quite or not, are thinking about roll of plastic :-D:-D:-D:-D not cinematography[/blue]
    : : Point taken.. Ok Movies then. But to me its a film.
    : [blue] Same here. Do not forget I used to leave in Europe and learned reall English in school. About 10 years ago, when I just arrived to the US, I've over heard some conversation between 2 americans. They've been takling using word 'film' in very strange for me manner. One of then said something like that: 'That kind of film is very solid and it's not easy to damaged it'. I could't uderstand how it possible to damage cinemathographical product. I've decided that it was some kind of american idiom/slang about cinematography and ask about it my american friend. It took us a several minutes to understand each other. Then he explained me that Americans call film movie!!!! and word 'film' in American "English" means roll of plastic which is used to produce movie!!![/blue]

Yes, I know that. We use that phrase too regarding films. Movie is not so popular though.

Check this out. Studio Miramax. Calls its self "Miramax Films"

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/studios/miramax.asp

Anyway.. Its almost the weekend.

Question regarding English pronunciation.

Router. Should that be phonetically "Rooter" or "Rowter"?

We (Brits) say "Rooter".. I have noticed Americans saying "Rowter"

Now, does that mean that the famous American road should be "Rowt 66"??

: Actually I am right. Have you heard of the "Cannes Film Festival"? I think that's quite famous.
    : [blue]Sure I do [/blue]
    : : And on Quietness. Well, my friends have named a "non speaking disease" after me.. for failing to go in for the kill when Im given oppertunities with the fairer sex. They call it the " Syndrome" Actaully, since they started this name calling they have also been infected. ;-)
    : : Usually this is caused by being either too drunk to speak properly or stone cold sober.
    :
    :

: : : THE QUIET AMERICAN
    : : : Directed by Phillip Noyce.
    : : : Starring Michael Caine, Brendan Fraser, Hai Yen.
    : : : Produced USA 2002
    : : : Certificate 15
    : : : Running time 105 mins.
    : : : Is there such a thing as "A Quiet American"? Perhaps this guy has been gagged or something.
    : : : No offense. Just made me laught when I saw the title of the film. Actually the 'American' is a British guy in a Saigon. Too many British are too quiet ( Including myself ) most of the time.
    : : [blue] About subject of this post. When you are saying [b]'film'[/b], most Americans, no matter quite or not, are thinking about roll of plastic :-D:-D:-D:-D not cinematography[/blue]
    :
    : Point taken.. Ok Movies then. But to me its a film. Actually I am right. Have you heard of the "Cannes Film Festival"? I think that's quite famous.
    :
    : And on Quietness. Well, my friends have named a "non speaking disease" after me.. for failing to go in for the kill when Im given oppertunities with the fairer sex. They call it the " Syndrome" Actaully, since they started this name calling they have also been infected. ;-)
    :
    : [b]Usually this is caused by being either too drunk to speak properly or stone cold sober.[/b]

[blue]My Kinda Man :-) .
    And here is the cure leeos : Give time in between drinks.
    And of course , shake well before use :D
    [blue]
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

: : : : THE QUIET AMERICAN
    : : : : Directed by Phillip Noyce.
    : : : : Starring Michael Caine, Brendan Fraser, Hai Yen.
    : : : : Produced USA 2002
    : : : : Certificate 15
    : : : : Running time 105 mins.
    : : : : Is there such a thing as "A Quiet American"? Perhaps this guy has been gagged or something.
    : : : : No offense. Just made me laught when I saw the title of the film. Actually the 'American' is a British guy in a Saigon. Too many British are too quiet ( Including myself ) most of the time.
    : : : [blue] About subject of this post. When you are saying [b]'film'[/b], most Americans, no matter quite or not, are thinking about roll of plastic :-D:-D:-D:-D not cinematography[/blue]
    : : Point taken.. Ok Movies then. But to me its a film. Actually I am right. Have you heard of the "Cannes Film Festival"? I think that's quite famous.
    : : And on Quietness. Well, my friends have named a "non speaking disease" after me.. for failing to go in for the kill when Im given oppertunities with the fairer sex. They call it the " Syndrome" Actaully, since they started this name calling they have also been infected. ;-)
    : : [b]Usually this is caused by being either too drunk to speak properly or stone cold sober.[/b]
    :
    : [blue]My Kinda Man :-) .
    : And here is the cure leeos : Give time in between drinks.
    : And of course , shake well before use :D
    : [blue]

Ah, but bars here close early.. thats why binge drinking and fighting is so common.

: : : : : THE QUIET AMERICAN
    : : : : :
    : : : : : Directed by Phillip Noyce.
    : : : : : Starring Michael Caine, Brendan Fraser, Hai Yen.
    : : : : : Produced USA 2002
    : : : : : Certificate 15
    : : : : : Running time 105 mins.
    : : : : : Is there such a thing as "A Quiet American"? Perhaps this guy has been gagged or something.
    : : : : : No offense. Just made me laught when I saw the title of the film. Actually the 'American' is a British guy in a Saigon. Too many British are too quiet ( Including myself ) most of the time.
    : : : : [blue] About subject of this post. When you are saying [b]'film'[/b], most Americans, no matter quite or not, are thinking about roll of plastic :-D:-D:-D:-D not cinematography[/blue]
    : : : Point taken.. Ok Movies then. But to me its a film. Actually I am right. Have you heard of the "Cannes Film Festival"? I think that's quite famous.
    : : : And on Quietness. Well, my friends have named a "non speaking disease" after me.. for failing to go in for the kill when Im given oppertunities with the fairer sex. They call it the " Syndrome" Actaully, since they started this name calling they have also been infected. ;-)
    : : : [b]Usually this is caused by being either too drunk to speak properly or stone cold sober.[/b]
    : : [blue]My Kinda Man :-) .
    : : And here is the cure leeos : Give time in between drinks.
    : : And of course , shake well before use :D
    : : [blue]
    :
    : Ah, but bars here close early.. thats why binge drinking and fighting is so common.
    :
    :
    :

Most probably your bars stay open later than ours . Ours closes
    at 11 . So binge drinking is common here too .It's like "wham!Bam!thank you ma'm" :-)
    : : : : : : THE QUIET AMERICAN
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : : Directed by Phillip Noyce.
    : : : : : : Starring Michael Caine, Brendan Fraser, Hai Yen.
    : : : : : : Produced USA 2002
    : : : : : : Certificate 15
    : : : : : : Running time 105 mins.
    : : : : : : Is there such a thing as "A Quiet American"? Perhaps this guy has been gagged or something.
    : : : : : : No offense. Just made me laught when I saw the title of the film. Actually the 'American' is a British guy in a Saigon. Too many British are too quiet ( Including myself ) most of the time.
    : : : : : [blue] About subject of this post. When you are saying [b]'film'[/b], most Americans, no matter quite or not, are thinking about roll of plastic :-D:-D:-D:-D not cinematography[/blue]
    : : : : Point taken.. Ok Movies then. But to me its a film. Actually I am right. Have you heard of the "Cannes Film Festival"? I think that's quite famous.
    : : : : And on Quietness. Well, my friends have named a "non speaking disease" after me.. for failing to go in for the kill when Im given oppertunities with the fairer sex. They call it the " Syndrome" Actaully, since they started this name calling they have also been infected. ;-)
    : : : : [b]Usually this is caused by being either too drunk to speak properly or stone cold sober.[/b]
    : : : [blue]My Kinda Man :-) .
    : : : And here is the cure leeos : Give time in between drinks.
    : : : And of course , shake well before use :D
    : : : [blue]
    : : Ah, but bars here close early.. thats why binge drinking and fighting is so common.
    :
    : Most probably your bars stay open later than ours . Ours closes
    : at 11 . So binge drinking is common here too .It's like "wham!Bam!thank you ma'm" :-)
    :
    Ah, ours are 11 too. That rule must have stuck from the old empire era. I bet the person that thought of the drinking times was a real weakling, that could not handle more than 2 or 3 pints before being sick or wetting the bed.

And 10:30 on Sundays for some STUPID religious reason. Like last night just when things are getting going the place closes.

Mainland Europe is much better for these kind of things. In Spain they stay open until theres no one left in a lot of bars. Viva Espania!! And China too.. I could stay up all night drink and gamble.

: : : : : : : THE QUIET AMERICAN
    : : : : : : :
    : : : : : : : Directed by Phillip Noyce.
    : : : : : : : Starring Michael Caine, Brendan Fraser, Hai Yen.
    : : : : : : : Produced USA 2002
    : : : : : : : Certificate 15
    : : : : : : : Running time 105 mins.
    : : : : : : : Is there such a thing as "A Quiet American"? Perhaps this guy has been gagged or something.
    : : : : : : : No offense. Just made me laught when I saw the title of the film. Actually the 'American' is a British guy in a Saigon. Too many British are too quiet ( Including myself ) most of the time.
    : : : : : : [blue] About subject of this post. When you are saying [b]'film'[/b], most Americans, no matter quite or not, are thinking about roll of plastic :-D:-D:-D:-D not cinematography[/blue]
    : : : : : Point taken.. Ok Movies then. But to me its a film. Actually I am right. Have you heard of the "Cannes Film Festival"? I think that's quite famous.
    : : : : : And on Quietness. Well, my friends have named a "non speaking disease" after me.. for failing to go in for the kill when Im given oppertunities with the fairer sex. They call it the " Syndrome" Actaully, since they started this name calling they have also been infected. ;-)
    : : : : : [b]Usually this is caused by being either too drunk to speak properly or stone cold sober.[/b]
    : : : : [blue]My Kinda Man :-) .
    : : : : And here is the cure leeos : Give time in between drinks.
    : : : : And of course , shake well before use :D
    : : : : [blue]
    : : : Ah, but bars here close early.. thats why binge drinking and fighting is so common.
    : : Most probably your bars stay open later than ours . Ours closes
    : : at 11 . So binge drinking is common here too .It's like "wham!Bam!thank you ma'm" :-)
    : Ah, ours are 11 too. That rule must have stuck from the old empire era. I bet the person that thought of the drinking times was a real weakling, that could not handle more than 2 or 3 pints before being sick or wetting the bed.
    :
    : And 10:30 on Sundays for some STUPID religious reason. Like last night just when things are getting going the place closes.
    :
    : Mainland Europe is much better for these kind of things. In Spain they stay open until theres no one left in a lot of bars. Viva Espania!! And China too.. I could stay up all night drink and gamble.
    :
    :
    [red]
    the 11 bit is irritating to say the least. If you are a regular
    you *might* be allowed to sit upto maybe 12,but then the waiter's
    face change and the service won't be what you usually get .

the other thread was making me think that I should have been in Netherlands, but now maybe spain ? ;-) mmmmmmmm

[/red]