Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

time-based events and triggers in postgre SQL

NaugNaug Posts: 15Member
Im trying to make a game using php and postgre, and I need few things to happen:

1) for db to do specified operation like deleting all unneeded records after some time (or immideatley) from certain conditions being meat.
2) for db to do some action at regular intervals ,like bank adding interest for example.

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Im trying to make a game using php and postgre, and I need few things to happen:
    :
    : 1) for db to do specified operation like deleting all unneeded records after some time (or immideatley) from certain conditions being meat.
    : 2) for db to do some action at regular intervals ,like bank adding interest for example.

I don't know about postgres, but Oracle allows you to schedule "jobs" that it will run. Generally speaking, though, most production databases that require batch updates like this use external programs or scripts that are run (either by operators or a task scheduler like cron) at specified intervals.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• NaugNaug Posts: 15Member
    Could you tell a bit more about corn? and those scripts how involved with that language I have to become?

: : Im trying to make a game using php and postgre, and I need few things to happen:
    : :
    : : 1) for db to do specified operation like deleting all unneeded records after some time (or immideatley) from certain conditions being meat.
    : : 2) for db to do some action at regular intervals ,like bank adding interest for example.
    :
    : I don't know about postgres, but Oracle allows you to schedule "jobs" that it will run. Generally speaking, though, most production databases that require batch updates like this use external programs or scripts that are run (either by operators or a task scheduler like cron) at specified intervals.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Could you tell a bit more about corn? and those scripts how involved with that language I have to become?

cron is just an example. It's a UNIX utility that runs scripts at scheduled intervals. The scripts that you need depend on what the database you're using supports and what you're trying to accomplish. I've never used postgres so I don't know what you would use.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]