Checking open/close status of files in directory

My understanding is that 'stat' will find things like mode, file size, time stamps, etc. But not if the file is actually open or not. I need to be able to find all open files in a directory and close them - but not sure if using 'stat' will work. Can someone clarify this for me?

Comments

• You won't have much success with this... because this is not Windows.

In Windows you have automatic file locking when opening a file, but in Linux there's no automatic locking, but you must use "flock" to lock it... So guys who use flock will be caught by you, but guys who don't - will slip away...

: My understanding is that 'stat' will find things like mode, file size, time stamps, etc. But not if the file is actually open or not. I need to be able to find all open files in a directory and close them - but not sure if using 'stat' will work. Can someone clarify this for me?
    :
  • Try setting an exclusive lock, if the file's open, even if it's a shared lock, you should get an error. Check the section 2 man pages for more info.

: You won't have much success with this... because this is not Windows.
    :
    : In Windows you have automatic file locking when opening a file, but in Linux there's no automatic locking, but you must use "flock" to lock it... So guys who use flock will be caught by you, but guys who don't - will slip away...
    :
    :
    :
    : : My understanding is that 'stat' will find things like mode, file size, time stamps, etc. But not if the file is actually open or not. I need to be able to find all open files in a directory and close them - but not sure if using 'stat' will work. Can someone clarify this for me?
    : :
    :