.NET???

[b][red]This message was edited by VB Newbie at 2003-7-31 11:55:53[/red][/b][hr]
Hi,

I have VB.NET.
For any program I made with vb.net the user must have the dotnetframework installed on their computer!
So when I distribute my program, I also include a copy of the dotnetframework. (note. it's free)

Of course I really like to have it automaticly installed on the target computer. So setup must detect of the dotnetframework is already installed, and if not then it must install it.

First question: is there an easy way for doing this?

Microsoft told that every new game or application from Microsoft will be installed along with the dotnetframework so that eventually every computer user will have it installed on their computer even without notice.

Second question: I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true.

Maybe the next Windows version will also be recuired the dotnetframework.

Any info on this subject is welcomed.

thanks,

VB Newbie

Comments

• : [b][red]This message was edited by VB Newbie at 2003-7-31 11:55:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi,
    :
    : I have VB.NET.
    : For any program I made with vb.net the user must have the dotnetframework installed on their computer!
    : So when I distribute my program, I also include a copy of the dotnetframework. (note. it's free)
    :
    : Of course I really like to have it automaticly installed on the target computer. So setup must detect of the dotnetframework is already installed, and if not then it must install it.
    :
    : First question: is there an easy way for doing this?
    :
    : Microsoft told that every new game or application from Microsoft will be installed along with the dotnetframework so that eventually every computer user will have it installed on their computer even without notice.
    :
    : Second question: I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true.
    :
    : Maybe the next Windows version will also be recuired the dotnetframework.
    :
    : Any info on this subject is welcomed.
    :
    : thanks,
    :
    : VB Newbie

Interesting issue.

As for my two cents:
    - First answer: that's what a setup program are for - like InstallShield, or really whatever else. I think there are some who come for free around the 'net.

- Second answer: besides I'm almost sure that Windows XP already has the .NET framework installed, MS is doing whatever they can (and they can do a lot, actually) to spread it around. If I was you, I'd (of course) distribute the .NET framework anyway, though.
  • : : [b][red]This message was edited by VB Newbie at 2003-7-31 11:55:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I have VB.NET.
    : : For any program I made with vb.net the user must have the dotnetframework installed on their computer!
    : : So when I distribute my program, I also include a copy of the dotnetframework. (note. it's free)
    : : Of course I really like to have it automaticly installed on the target computer. So setup must detect of the dotnetframework is already installed, and if not then it must install it.
    : : First question: is there an easy way for doing this?
    : : Microsoft told that every new game or application from Microsoft will be installed along with the dotnetframework so that eventually every computer user will have it installed on their computer even without notice.
    : : Second question: I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true.
    : : Maybe the next Windows version will also be recuired the dotnetframework.
    : : Any info on this subject is welcomed.
    : : thanks,
    : : VB Newbie
    :
    : Interesting issue.
    :
    : As for my two cents:
    : - First answer: that's what a setup program are for - like InstallShield, or really whatever else. I think there are some who come for free around the 'net.
    :
    : - Second answer: besides I'm almost sure that Windows XP already has the .NET framework installed, MS is doing whatever they can (and they can do a lot, actually) to spread it around. If I was you, I'd (of course) distribute the .NET framework anyway, though.
    :

Thanks for your reply Genyuro,

Just for info. WinXP does not have the .NET framework.
    I had to install it for my application to work.

• : : : [b][red]This message was edited by VB Newbie at 2003-7-31 11:55:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : Hi,
    : : :
    : : : I have VB.NET.
    : : : For any program I made with vb.net the user must have the dotnetframework installed on their computer!
    : : : So when I distribute my program, I also include a copy of the dotnetframework. (note. it's free)
    : : : Of course I really like to have it automaticly installed on the target computer. So setup must detect of the dotnetframework is already installed, and if not then it must install it.
    : : : First question: is there an easy way for doing this?
    : : : Microsoft told that every new game or application from Microsoft will be installed along with the dotnetframework so that eventually every computer user will have it installed on their computer even without notice.
    : : : Second question: I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true.
    : : : Maybe the next Windows version will also be recuired the dotnetframework.
    : : : Any info on this subject is welcomed.
    : : : thanks,
    : : : VB Newbie
    : : Interesting issue.
    : : As for my two cents:
    : : - First answer: that's what a setup program are for - like InstallShield, or really whatever else. I think there are some who come for free around the 'net.
    : : - Second answer: besides I'm almost sure that Windows XP already has the .NET framework installed, MS is doing whatever they can (and they can do a lot, actually) to spread it around. If I was you, I'd (of course) distribute the .NET framework anyway, though.
    :
    : Thanks for your reply Genyuro,
    :
    : Just for info. WinXP does not have the .NET framework.
    : I had to install it for my application to work.

I thought so for "home edition"... anyway, I'm absolutely sure that Windows 2003 has it, so it's really a matter of time anyways.
    Thanks for the info, tho.
  • : : : : [b][red]This message was edited by VB Newbie at 2003-7-31 11:55:53[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : Hi,
    : : : :
    : : : : I have VB.NET.
    : : : : For any program I made with vb.net the user must have the dotnetframework installed on their computer!
    : : : : So when I distribute my program, I also include a copy of the dotnetframework. (note. it's free)
    : : : : Of course I really like to have it automaticly installed on the target computer. So setup must detect of the dotnetframework is already installed, and if not then it must install it.
    : : : : First question: is there an easy way for doing this?
    : : : : Microsoft told that every new game or application from Microsoft will be installed along with the dotnetframework so that eventually every computer user will have it installed on their computer even without notice.
    : : : : Second question: I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true.
    : : : : Maybe the next Windows version will also be recuired the dotnetframework.
    : : : : Any info on this subject is welcomed.
    : : : : thanks,
    : : : : VB Newbie
    : : : Interesting issue.
    : : : As for my two cents:
    : : : - First answer: that's what a setup program are for - like InstallShield, or really whatever else. I think there are some who come for free around the 'net.
    : : : - Second answer: besides I'm almost sure that Windows XP already has the .NET framework installed, MS is doing whatever they can (and they can do a lot, actually) to spread it around. If I was you, I'd (of course) distribute the .NET framework anyway, though.
    : : Thanks for your reply Genyuro,
    : : Just for info. WinXP does not have the .NET framework.
    : : I had to install it for my application to work.
    :
    : I thought so for "home edition"... anyway, I'm absolutely sure that Windows 2003 has it, so it's really a matter of time anyways.
    : Thanks for the info, tho.
    :

Hi,

Seems we are both online now.
    note: I have just send you an email :-)
    Fine to know that futher windows os use the dotnetframework.

• Microsoft is planning on making the .NET Framework standard. I am sure it is supplied with all of the new versions of Windows!

But for now: Supplying it is adviced! I myself have WindowsXP Home Edition too and no .NET Framework!

But .NET Framework also has a downside: It requires new versions of windows to run: XP, 200, server 2003 family....

Meaning it won't work on Windows 98 or so!

Greets...
    Richard

• : Microsoft is planning on making the .NET Framework standard. I am sure it is supplied with all of the new versions of Windows!
    :
    : But for now: Supplying it is adviced! I myself have WindowsXP Home Edition too and no .NET Framework!
    :
    : But .NET Framework also has a downside: It requires new versions of windows to run: XP, 200, server 2003 family....
    :
    : Meaning it won't work on Windows 98 or so!
    :
    : Greets...
    : Richard

It *will* work on 98, although it won't on 95 (which is, btw, an OS made almost ten years ago).
  • : Microsoft is planning on making the .NET Framework standard. I am sure it is supplied with all of the new versions of Windows!
    :
    : But for now: Supplying it is adviced! I myself have WindowsXP Home Edition too and no .NET Framework!

I'll bet it's on your distribution disks -- it just isn't installed normally. Please let me know if this is not true. AFAIK .NET is supposed to be standard on XP and up.

----------------
    Walt

• [b][red]This message was edited by VB Newbie at 2003-8-3 0:43:6[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Microsoft is planning on making the .NET Framework standard. I am sure it is supplied with all of the new versions of Windows!
    : : But for now: Supplying it is adviced! I myself have WindowsXP Home Edition too and no .NET Framework!
    :
    : I'll bet it's on your distribution disks -- it just isn't installed normally. Please let me know if this is not true. AFAIK .NET is supposed to be standard on XP and up.
    :
    : ----------------
    : Walt
    :
    :

Yes, the .NET Framework redistributable file (Dotdetfx.exe) is located on a CD with VB.NET.
    Microsoft said the .NET Framework can't be included within the installation files of a program.
    It must must be installed separately to make it possible to be updated when fixes and new versions are released.

.NET is not standard on winXP.
    I have WinXP professional, and it's also without the .NET Framework.

(what does AFAIK means?)

VB Newbie

• : Yes, the .NET Framework redistributable file (Dotdetfx.exe) is located on a CD with VB.NET.
    : Microsoft said the .NET Framework can't be included within the installation files of a program.
    : It must must be installed separately to make it possible to be updated when fixes and new versions are released.
    [color=blue]This makes no sense. It can be updated no matter where it originally came from.[/color]
    :
    : .NET is not standard on winXP.
    : I have WinXP professional, and it's also without the .NET Framework.
    [color=blue]I have WinXP pro and installed the .NET from the CD. Maybe you missed it? Or maybe your XP is one of the first releases? [/color]

: (what does AFAIK means?)
    [color=blue]As Far As I Know -- check out
    http://www.fau.edu/netiquette/net/acroynms.txt for computer-speak

[/color]

----------------
    Walt

• : : Yes, the .NET Framework redistributable file (Dotdetfx.exe) is located on a CD with VB.NET.
    : : Microsoft said the .NET Framework can't be included within the installation files of a program.
    : : It must must be installed separately to make it possible to be updated when fixes and new versions are released.
    : [color=blue]This makes no sense. It can be updated no matter where it originally came from.[/color]
    : : .NET is not standard on winXP.
    : : I have WinXP professional, and it's also without the .NET Framework.
    : [color=blue]I have WinXP pro and installed the .NET from the CD. Maybe you missed it? Or maybe your XP is one of the first releases? [/color]
    :
    : : (what does AFAIK means?)
    : [color=blue]As Far As I Know -- check out
    : http://www.fau.edu/netiquette/net/acroynms.txt for computer-speak
    :
    : [/color]
    :
    :
    : ----------------
    : Walt
    :
    :

Hi Walt,
    Ok I have to look for it on the WinXP CD.
    So you installed the .NET separately, and it is not installed automaticly when you install WinXP itself?
    I'm asking myself why.

Thanks for the webside :-)

VB Newbie

• : Hi Walt,
    : Ok I have to look for it on the WinXP CD.
    : So you installed the .NET separately, and it is not installed automaticly when you install WinXP itself?
    : I'm asking myself why.

:-D If you don't know, you're asking the wrong person :-D

I often wonder what goes thru MicroSludge's minds when they do things. They sure don't seem to operate from logic.

----------------
    Walt