Assigning a Password to an ACCESS db with Code - help pls - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Assigning a Password to an ACCESS db with Code - help pls

saint_johannsaint_johann Posts: 39Member
Is it possible to assign a password to an access database using code, as I would have done If I opened the db exclusively with access and added a password?

I distributed my app without adding a password, because at the time I did not know how. Now I know, and I want to send an updated program file to the users that adds the password to the db and thereafter, open it from the app using the connectionstring with the password.

Please help if this is at all possible.

Comments

• Alli2k2Alli2k2 Posts: 4Member
    : Is it possible to assign a password to an access database using code, as I would have done If I opened the db exclusively with access and added a password?
    :
    : I distributed my app without adding a password, because at the time I did not know how. Now I know, and I want to send an updated program file to the users that adds the password to the db and thereafter, open it from the app using the connectionstring with the password.
    :
    : Please help if this is at all possible.
    :
    do you mean you want the userID of the currently signed on machine user? Or, do you just want an internal password protection that opens when the database is opened, forcing the appropriate user id and password, exiting access if entries are not found? i'm sure you know that if you use the password wizard with access, others can still get in without the password by going to access, file, recent. the first two times they try that way, they're bumped. the third and subsequent times they try to enter that way, they're allowed in without a password. but you can build your own password table and form inside the database, to open at start up. which way are you wanting to go with this?
    [email protected]
  • saint_johannsaint_johann Posts: 39Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by saint_johann at 2003-7-31 3:58:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Is it possible to assign a password to an access database using code, as I would have done If I opened the db exclusively with access and added a password?
    : :
    : : I distributed my app without adding a password, because at the time I did not know how. Now I know, and I want to send an updated program file to the users that adds the password to the db and thereafter, open it from the app using the connectionstring with the password.
    : : Please help if this is at all possible.
    : do you mean you want the userID of the currently signed on machine user? Or, do you just want an internal password protection that opens when the database is opened, forcing the appropriate user id and password, exiting access if entries are not found? i'm sure you know that if you use the password wizard with access, others can still get in without the password by going to access, file, recent. the first two times they try that way, they're bumped. the third and subsequent times they try to enter that way, they're allowed in without a password. but you can build your own password table and form inside the database, to open at start up. which way are you wanting to go with this?
    : [email protected]
    :
    I did not know that it is not secure. I need to protect the db's so that someone cannot get unauthorised access, so what I did is to open the db exclusively and assign a password. You are then prompted to enter the password when trying to open the db.

I suppose the second method you mentioned is better then, but I don't have a clue how to do this... If you could help me skill myself in this, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanx so far.