generating core dump - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

generating core dump

myemye Posts: 4Member
Hi, I'm a newbie to linux. I'm writing some modules to linux and want to know whats the best way to generate core dumps. Any opinions will be apreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• korkor Posts: 198Member
    : Hi, I'm a newbie to linux. I'm writing some modules to linux and want to know whats the best way to generate core dumps. Any opinions will be apreciated. Thanks.
    :
    Check the core dump message a little lower, we covered a few methods there.
  • myemye Posts: 4Member
    : : Hi, I'm a newbie to linux. I'm writing some modules to linux and want to know whats the best way to generate core dumps. Any opinions will be apreciated. Thanks.
    : :
    : Check the core dump message a little lower, we covered a few methods there.
    :

I did read them. I actually need something a little different. I want to be able to panic the whole system and get a core(s) for the whole linux kernel. I'm reading through LKCD right now see if that'll do it.
  • korkor Posts: 198Member
    : : : Hi, I'm a newbie to linux. I'm writing some modules to linux and want to know whats the best way to generate core dumps. Any opinions will be apreciated. Thanks.
    : : :
    : : Check the core dump message a little lower, we covered a few methods there.
    : :
    :
    : I did read them. I actually need something a little different. I want to be able to panic the whole system and get a core(s) for the whole linux kernel. I'm reading through LKCD right now see if that'll do it.
    :
    So... you want a way to forcibly take down a *nix box with a program, and coredump it? not as a user, for sure... maybe kill -3 0?
    I think pid 0 is kernel...