generating core dump - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

generating core dump

myemye Posts: 4Member
Hi, I'm a newbie to linux. I'm writing some modules to linux and want to know whats the best way to generate core dumps. Any opinions will be apreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• korkor Posts: 198Member
    : Hi, I'm a newbie to linux. I'm writing some modules to linux and want to know whats the best way to generate core dumps. Any opinions will be apreciated. Thanks.
    :
    Check the core dump message a little lower, we covered a few methods there.
  • myemye Posts: 4Member
    : : Hi, I'm a newbie to linux. I'm writing some modules to linux and want to know whats the best way to generate core dumps. Any opinions will be apreciated. Thanks.
    : :
    : Check the core dump message a little lower, we covered a few methods there.
    :

I did read them. I actually need something a little different. I want to be able to panic the whole system and get a core(s) for the whole linux kernel. I'm reading through LKCD right now see if that'll do it.
  • korkor Posts: 198Member
    : : : Hi, I'm a newbie to linux. I'm writing some modules to linux and want to know whats the best way to generate core dumps. Any opinions will be apreciated. Thanks.
    : : :
    : : Check the core dump message a little lower, we covered a few methods there.
    : :
    :
    : I did read them. I actually need something a little different. I want to be able to panic the whole system and get a core(s) for the whole linux kernel. I'm reading through LKCD right now see if that'll do it.
    :
    So... you want a way to forcibly take down a *nix box with a program, and coredump it? not as a user, for sure... maybe kill -3 0?
    I think pid 0 is kernel...