Reading/playing .wav files - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Reading/playing .wav files

Hi all,
A friend of mine gave me a C program that opens and plays .wav files. It follows:

#include
#include
#include
#include
#include

#define BUFSZ 4096

int main(int argc,char *argv[])
{
int devfd, sampfd;
int len,i;
char *dev="/dev/dsp";
unsigned char sampbuf[BUFSZ];
/* Open /dev/dsp/ */
if((devfd = open(dev,O_WRONLY)) < 0)
{
if(errno == EBUSY)
fprintf(stderr, "%s in use
", dev);
fprintf(stderr, "%s: %s
",dev,strerror(errno));
exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
}
if(argc==2)
{
if((sampfd=open(argv[1],O_RDONLY)) < 0)
{
perror(argv[1]);
exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
}
/* Read a block, write a block */
while((len=read(sampfd,sampbuf,BUFSZ)) > 0)
write(devfd,sampbuf,len);
/* Close the descriptors and get outta here */
close(sampfd);
}
close(devfd);
exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
}

First off, I'm using Mandrake.

If I use the command syntax cc play.c -o play I get an executable file that is able to 'play' standard .wav files, i.e. play mywave.wav.
If I use the command syntax cc play.c I get a.out of course, but when I try to execute it as a.out mywave.wav it plays this horrible screaching noise. The original executable file still works but I can't copy it to another filename w/o the same problem happening, i.e. cp play hold, etc. It also does weird stuff like if I move between default consoles and try to play the file by calling the previously executed command by using the 'up' arrow keys it tells me when I hit enter that the /dev/dsp device is busy. Someone told me that he thinks that it has to do w/the argv, argc variables and that the a.out file is attempting to play itself. Any suggestions. Thanks.
jbowers9

Comments

• abcabc Posts: 443Member
    : Hi all,
    : A friend of mine gave me a C program that opens and plays .wav files. It follows:
    :
    : #include
    :
    : #define BUFSZ 4096
    :
    : int main(int argc,char *argv[])
    : {
    : int devfd, sampfd;
    : int len,i;
    : char *dev="/dev/dsp";
    : unsigned char sampbuf[BUFSZ];
    : /* Open /dev/dsp/ */
    : if((devfd = open(dev,O_WRONLY)) < 0)
    : if(errno == EBUSY)
    : fprintf(stderr, "%s in use
    ", dev);
    : fprintf(stderr, "%s: %s
    ",dev,strerror(errno));
    : exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
    : }
    : if(argc==2)
    : if((sampfd=open(argv[1],O_RDONLY)) < 0)
    : perror(argv[1]);
    : exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
    : /* Read a block, write a block */
    : while((len=read(sampfd,sampbuf,BUFSZ)) > 0)
    : write(devfd,sampbuf,len);
    : /* Close the descriptors and get outta here */
    : close(sampfd);
    : close(devfd);
    : exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
    :
    : First off, I'm using Mandrake.
    :
    : If I use the command syntax cc play.c -o play I get an executable file that is able to 'play' standard .wav files, i.e. play mywave.wav.
    : If I use the command syntax cc play.c I get a.out of course, but when I try to execute it as a.out mywave.wav it plays this horrible screaching noise. The original executable file still works but I can't copy it to another filename w/o the same problem happening, i.e. cp play hold, etc. It also does weird stuff like if I move between default consoles and try to play the file by calling the previously executed command by using the 'up' arrow keys it tells me when I hit enter that the /dev/dsp device is busy. Someone told me that he thinks that it has to do w/the argv, argc variables and that the a.out file is attempting to play itself. Any suggestions. Thanks.
    : jbowers9
    :

err ... i really doubt that just dumping the file on dsp will work - you might as well do cat filename>/dev/dsp (the non-playable wav header for starters; then what kind of endianness the file has, etc.)

as for your 2 different results, the screeching is probably the 'correct' program output; on the other hand, if you do just 'play file.wav' you'll get /usr/bin/play (your location may vary) to (correctly) play the file. (if you do have '.' in the path, it's probably at the end, not at the beginning). try './play filename.wav'
    for the screeching effects.
  • Jeff P.Jeff P. Posts: 196Member
    : : Hi all,
    : : A friend of mine gave me a C program that opens and plays .wav files. It follows:

: err ... i really doubt that just dumping the file on dsp will work - you might as well do cat filename>/dev/dsp (the non-playable wav header for starters; then what kind of endianness the file has, etc.)
    :
    : as for your 2 different results, the screeching is probably the 'correct' program output; on the other hand, if you do just 'play file.wav' you'll get /usr/bin/play (your location may vary) to (correctly) play the file. (if you do have '.' in the path, it's probably at the end, not at the beginning). try './play filename.wav'
    : for the screeching effects.

Maybe try this:
    [code]
    #include
    int main(int argc, char **argv){
    esd_play_file("wav", argv[1], 0);
    }
    [/code]

To compile you need something like this:
    [code]
    gcc -L/usr/local/lib -lesd -laudiofile -lm -lasound esdtest.c
    [/code]