Directory Listing Code Needed - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Directory Listing Code Needed

jrhinejrhine Posts: 1Member
Hello!

I am currently in the process of building a web site for the class that I teach. Throughout the course, I will be posting numerous documents for my students to download, and I am looking for a javascript or related script that will automatically keep a listing of the files in a certain directory on the site.

Basically, when a student visits the page, I want the script to automatically obtain a listing of the files in the specified directory so that they can click on a certain file and download it. With the vast number of documents that I will be adding, it would be very time consuming to have to go in and create a hyperlink to each document that I upload.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best Regards,

Jamie Rhine

Comments

• lillulillu Posts: 308Member
    Hi Jamie,

Sorry for my late reply but I just realized there's a messageboard for js beginners here.

Well, you cannot achieve what you want with client-side javascript, as it does not allow you to manipulate files on the server (as it runs on the client's machine)
    All you can do with client-side javascript is to list your own directory files and upload them to the server.

Try ASP instead.

Here's a link relating to your question:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Web_Languages/JavaScript/Q_20294319.html

Lillu

: Hello!
    :
    : I am currently in the process of building a web site for the class that I teach. Throughout the course, I will be posting numerous documents for my students to download, and I am looking for a javascript or related script that will automatically keep a listing of the files in a certain directory on the site.
    :
    : Basically, when a student visits the page, I want the script to automatically obtain a listing of the files in the specified directory so that they can click on a certain file and download it. With the vast number of documents that I will be adding, it would be very time consuming to have to go in and create a hyperlink to each document that I upload.
    :
    : Thanks in advance for your help!
    :
    :
    : Best Regards,
    :
    : Jamie Rhine
    :