Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Directory Listing Code Needed

jrhinejrhine Posts: 1Member
Hello!

I am currently in the process of building a web site for the class that I teach. Throughout the course, I will be posting numerous documents for my students to download, and I am looking for a javascript or related script that will automatically keep a listing of the files in a certain directory on the site.

Basically, when a student visits the page, I want the script to automatically obtain a listing of the files in the specified directory so that they can click on a certain file and download it. With the vast number of documents that I will be adding, it would be very time consuming to have to go in and create a hyperlink to each document that I upload.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best Regards,

Jamie Rhine

Comments

• lillulillu Posts: 308Member
    Hi Jamie,

Sorry for my late reply but I just realized there's a messageboard for js beginners here.

Well, you cannot achieve what you want with client-side javascript, as it does not allow you to manipulate files on the server (as it runs on the client's machine)
    All you can do with client-side javascript is to list your own directory files and upload them to the server.

Try ASP instead.

Here's a link relating to your question:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Web_Languages/JavaScript/Q_20294319.html

Lillu

: Hello!
    :
    : I am currently in the process of building a web site for the class that I teach. Throughout the course, I will be posting numerous documents for my students to download, and I am looking for a javascript or related script that will automatically keep a listing of the files in a certain directory on the site.
    :
    : Basically, when a student visits the page, I want the script to automatically obtain a listing of the files in the specified directory so that they can click on a certain file and download it. With the vast number of documents that I will be adding, it would be very time consuming to have to go in and create a hyperlink to each document that I upload.
    :
    : Thanks in advance for your help!
    :
    :
    : Best Regards,
    :
    : Jamie Rhine
    :