Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

password char and the windows XP bullet

ucbonesucbones Posts: 4Member
Hi,

I can't seem to work out how to get my password field to mask input with the XP-style bullet. MSWord lists its properties as follows:

ASCII(hex): 095
Unicode(hex): 2022
ASCII(decimal):149

I've tried putting #095,#95,#2022,#149 but none of them work.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

ucbones

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : Hi,
    :
    : I can't seem to work out how to get my password field to mask input with the XP-style bullet. MSWord lists its properties as follows:
    :
    : ASCII(hex): 095
    : Unicode(hex): 2022
    : ASCII(decimal):149
    :
    : I've tried putting #095,#95,#2022,#149 but none of them work.
    :
    : Any ideas?
    :
    : Many thanks,
    :
    : ucbones
    :
    Have you set the font to the correct type? Fonts can have different characters for the same character code.
  • ucbonesucbones Posts: 4Member
    : Have you set the font to the correct type? Fonts can have different characters for the same character code.

yes!
  • OxyzNOxyzN Posts: 60Member
    : : Have you set the font to the correct type? Fonts can have different characters for the same character code.
    :
    : yes!
    :
    This might help a lot, though I'm not sure... Create the Edit box and as the Password masking character choose the letter "h" not "H", for the font choose Marlett (this is Windows special font, this font includes the minimize, maximize, restore, and close characters and others also). You'll notice that the font is Bold, if you don't want it as bold, go to the Object Inspector window and Expand the Font property, then Expand the Style property and change fsBold to False. I don't know if it is a bug, but Delphi always leaves this as fsBold = True.
    Now if you want to make it look as Windows XP look and if you have Delphi 7, you have a sort of invisible component (while run-time) that can make your application controls to look like Windows XP controls. Go to Win32 tab on your component pallete and add the XPManifest to your application.
  • khf314khf314 Posts: 1Member
    The Marlett font for this purpose is kind of wide & it does not give a balanced look to the rest of the form IMHO.

An alternative is to use the Wingdings font with PasswordChar s (that's lower case).