Urgent help needed to develop a mapping system (GPS) - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Urgent help needed to develop a mapping system (GPS)

I need to develop a software that will plot a location onto a map after receiving the coordinat (x,y,z) from a GPS system. I will need to develop it using Java. I have no idea of how to do it and I hope that there is someone that could give me some idea or maybe source code that can help me in doing this project. Thanks a lot....

Comments

• korkor Posts: 198Member
    : I need to develop a software that will plot a location onto a map after receiving the coordinat (x,y,z) from a GPS system. I will need to develop it using Java. I have no idea of how to do it and I hope that there is someone that could give me some idea or maybe source code that can help me in doing this project. Thanks a lot....
    :
    I'm going to recommend trying the java board, if you haven't already, as it's quite likely more active, and it's really a programming issue, and not a hardware interface issue once you know what the input is like and how to get it out of the device.
  • XsirAubreyXsirAubrey Posts: 75Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by XsirAubrey at 2003-7-23 12:43:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I need to develop a software that will plot a location onto a map after receiving the coordinat (x,y,z) from a GPS system. I will need to develop it using Java. I have no idea of how to do it and I hope that there is someone that could give me some idea or maybe source code that can help me in doing this project. Thanks a lot....
    : :
    : I'm going to recommend trying the java board, if you haven't already, as it's quite likely more active, and it's really a programming issue, and not a hardware interface issue once you know what the input is like and how to get it out of the device.
    :
    How is the reception done? Have you already got code that coverts the interface (be it RS232, USB, LPT) into x,y,z form? How large of x,y,z's do you need? Are ya mapping the entire planet into one database or like a floor plan of a house? Do you need it permenantly stored such as Hard Disk or temporarily, RAM? What scale is the GPS sending it's information in? Meters, Feet, Latitude and longitude and altitude?
    Or are ya wanting to go from GPS to HD (without the PC)? That would be cool eh.
    Also, how often would it take the x,y,z measurements from the GPS? Take a step, hit a button and record the data?

Although I am not a Java person.
    I am asking because I have not acquired a GPS yet, but you have a similar idea to one I have had. I was actually interested in doing this for myself (mapping from GPS, and a sonar...), but in C++.

XsirAubrey
    The search for knowledge is endless.