Demos in directX??? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Demos in directX???

sid_kkrsid_kkr Posts: 20Member
hi,
i've an ethic question about demo-coding.
Is it good technique to program demos in direct X?
Or should i spend my time where i am (dos, purprogramming ya know).
on the one hand i think directX would give me acces to a
huge range of computers where my demos can be played. On the other
hand, is it real demo programming to use dx?

[email protected]

Comments

• CroWCroW Posts: 348Member
    Hmm,to get back a little life to this great board (the way it meant to be played ;) ) Ill write my very own oppionion.

In fact there exist a lot of intros/demos done under win32 with different apis (opengl,d3d,glide,etc).most(all?) of them are >=4k,because its impossible (without some tricks) to make a win32-exe smaller than 2k or so.and all of them are using some .exe-compressors to get all the stuff in 4k.

win32-demos could use all the modern stuff like 3d-acceleration,surround-sound,high resolutions and so on,but and thats the point: they are not old-school ;)

so its left to you,if you like the old-school-coding (asm,mode13h,lots of math,etc) win32 wont satisfy you,but if you want to use the newer features of todays hardware (and making the coding-process easier ;) ) you should give opengl a try...