GUIs in Python - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

GUIs in Python

hh10khh10k Posts: 2Member
I'm considering using Python as a scripting language for a game I'm working on, and it seems like a good idea to also do the user interface stuff in Python at the same time. Problem is that my game is OpenGL, and it needs to be flexible enough for native widgets and an in-game OpenGL interface.

Although not uber-important, I'd also like it to be portable and lightweight.

Does such a thing exist? If you can't help me, any tips on other GUI toolkits I can wrap will still be very helpful. Thanks :)

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : I'm considering using Python as a scripting language for a game I'm working on, and it seems like a good idea to also do the user interface stuff in Python at the same time. Problem is that my game is OpenGL, and it needs to be flexible enough for native widgets and an in-game OpenGL interface.
    :
    : Although not uber-important, I'd also like it to be portable and lightweight.
    :
    : Does such a thing exist? If you can't help me, any tips on other GUI toolkits I can wrap will still be very helpful. Thanks :)

Wow, that's quite a bit. There is the wxPython library which wraps the wxWindows toolkit to give you a number of graphical windows and controls. There's even Boa Constructor which is an IDE (currently in alpha development) to help you with the wxPython interface stuff. I don't know how "lightweight" it is, but in theory it's portable since wxWindows is designed to work on multiple platforms.

As far as OpenGL goes, you can find PyOpenGL here: http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/

There's also the pygame package at pygame.org. I've never examined this, but I hear it's very good for games.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• hh10khh10k Posts: 2Member
    : Wow, that's quite a bit. There is the wxPython library which wraps the wxWindows toolkit to give you a number of graphical windows and controls. There's even Boa Constructor which is an IDE (currently in alpha development) to help you with the wxPython interface stuff. I don't know how "lightweight" it is, but in theory it's portable since wxWindows is designed to work on multiple platforms.
    :
    : As far as OpenGL goes, you can find PyOpenGL here: http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/
    :
    : There's also the pygame package at pygame.org. I've never examined this, but I hear it's very good for games.

All the OpenGL stuff will be kept in C++ code. As far as the GUI goes, it will mostly be just simple buttons, edits, pulldowns and scrollers thrown into a layout.

I think my only solution will be to wrap something like wxPython and code my own OpenGL stuff. Thanks anyway.