Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Serious Database Size Problems

zapperonzapperon Posts: 88Member
I have a database with one table containing +-300000. One of the fields in that table call it DESCRIPTION has to have a minimum size of 70 characters. But that would make the table to big and every record has this field so moving it to another table and linking it will not solve the problem. I have tried to making it a memo filed the problem is No.1 When I fill the description field full of numbers and I make a search eg. AND DESCRIPTION LIKE 'L%' it seems to ignore the "AND" statement and still shows me a records set with all the records matching the first statement. So I put it into a memo field with its minimum size 20. Hoping that if the actual data in the field is 10 characters long it will save only 10 characters and if it is the 70 it will save only 70 charcaters. So as a test I filled all the fields with 30 characters only numeric. But when I take the external .MB filesize divided by amount of records I have it seems to store an average of 64 bytes per entry. How can I keep the size as small as possible ???
Zapperon
ewu@webmail.co.za

Comments

• injektiloinjektilo Posts: 113Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by injektilo at 2003-7-14 14:53:56[/red][/b][hr]
    could be a dumb solution and not possible on your side but maybe you could split the file over several files with some date as filename, maybe?

i use this often at dayclosing time, but thats a whole other application i guess.

• zapperonzapperon Posts: 88Member
    Thanks in the end i made the Memo field a Alpha/Char field as it did not look like the external .MB file was saving me any space. I even got a few MB of disk space back and am it made my search faster.

: [b][red]This message was edited by injektilo at 2003-7-14 14:53:56[/red][/b][hr]
    : could be a dumb solution and not possible on your side but maybe you could split the file over several files with some date as filename, maybe?
    :
    : i use this often at dayclosing time, but thats a whole other application i guess.
    :
    :
    :

Zapperon
    ewu@webmail.co.za