Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Sleep function trouble

NytbladeNytblade Posts: 56Member
I want to use the Sleep() function to slow down printing text to the screen, however, when I put in the line of code "Sleep(1000)" that causes the program to freeze up immedialty after it's been executed. The compiler doesn't report any errors, though. Any advice in how to fix this? I'm sure it's the "Sleep function because when I comment out "Sleep(1000)" the program runs fine (with the exception of not slowing down printing text to the screen)

--Nytblade

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    : I want to use the Sleep() function to slow down printing text to the screen, however, when I put in the line of code "Sleep(1000)" that causes the program to freeze up immedialty after it's been executed. The compiler doesn't report any errors, though. Any advice in how to fix this? I'm sure it's the "Sleep function because when I comment out "Sleep(1000)" the program runs fine (with the exception of not slowing down printing text to the screen)
    :
    :
    :
    : --Nytblade
    :
    :

what kind of a program do you have? consol (main() function), win32 (WinMain() function) or MFC? I have never had a problem with it.

[code]
    #include
    #include
    #include
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {
    cout << "Hello World" << endl;
    fflush(stdout);
    Sleep(1000);
    cout << "All done" <<endl;
    cin.ignore();
    return 0;
    }
    [/code]

• NytbladeNytblade Posts: 56Member

: what kind of a program do you have? consol (main() function), win32 (WinMain() function) or MFC? I have never had a problem with it.

MFC. Yea, it's wierd.

--Nytblade

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    :
    : : what kind of a program do you have? consol (main() function), win32 (WinMain() function) or MFC? I have never had a problem with it.
    :
    : MFC. Yea, it's wierd.
    :
    :
    :
    :

I never had that problem with MFC either.

• FDracheFDrache Posts: 64Member
    Strange. Sleep gives time away to other processes which can have a higher priority and hang then.
    Have you redefined Sleep somewhere?

• NytbladeNytblade Posts: 56Member
    : Strange. Sleep gives time away to other processes which can have a higher priority and hang then.
    : Have you redefined Sleep somewhere?
    :
    :
    :

no

--Nytblade

• demaregdemareg Posts: 1Member
    : I want to use the Sleep() function to slow down printing text to the screen, however, when I put in the line of code "Sleep(1000)" that causes the program to freeze up immedialty after it's been executed. The compiler doesn't report any errors, though. Any advice in how to fix this? I'm sure it's the "Sleep function because when I comment out "Sleep(1000)" the program runs fine (with the exception of not slowing down printing text to the screen)
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    During sleep, the GUI message pump does not operate causing the GUI to appear to freeze. If your MFC provides a GUI, this would be the explanation of the application's behavior.