Handling a WM_KEYDOWN message... - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Handling a WM_KEYDOWN message...

ShinGohanShinGohan Posts: 2Member
Hello, i'm new to MFC and i have got this problem:
i have a dialog with a CEdit control and i want to be able to handle a WM_KEYDOWN whenever i press a button while the editbox is focused..
i have added a "OnKeyDownText1(UINT nChar,UINT n_RepCnt,UINT nFlags)" handle in my dialog class and this (ON_WM_KEYDOWN(IDC_EDIT1,OnKeyDownText1)) in the message map, but it doesn't seem to work.. i've tried to trace the program and have found out that it never reaches my handler.. so how do i do it?

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    : Hello, i'm new to MFC and i have got this problem:
    : i have a dialog with a CEdit control and i want to be able to handle a WM_KEYDOWN whenever i press a button while the editbox is focused..
    : i have added a "OnKeyDownText1(UINT nChar,UINT n_RepCnt,UINT nFlags)" handle in my dialog class and this (ON_WM_KEYDOWN(IDC_EDIT1,OnKeyDownText1)) in the message map, but it doesn't seem to work.. i've tried to trace the program and have found out that it never reaches my handler.. so how do i do it?
    :

you need to subclass the CEdit control and handle it in that class. Create a new MFC class that is derived from CEdit, then in the dialog's .h file change the control's type from CEdit to your new class, for example CMyEdit.
  • ShinGohanShinGohan Posts: 2Member
    : : Hello, i'm new to MFC and i have got this problem:
    : : i have a dialog with a CEdit control and i want to be able to handle a WM_KEYDOWN whenever i press a button while the editbox is focused..
    : : i have added a "OnKeyDownText1(UINT nChar,UINT n_RepCnt,UINT nFlags)" handle in my dialog class and this (ON_WM_KEYDOWN(IDC_EDIT1,OnKeyDownText1)) in the message map, but it doesn't seem to work.. i've tried to trace the program and have found out that it never reaches my handler.. so how do i do it?
    : :
    :
    : you need to subclass the CEdit control and handle it in that class. Create a new MFC class that is derived from CEdit, then in the dialog's .h file change the control's type from CEdit to your new class, for example CMyEdit.
    :
    I tried it.. what i don't understand is: where do i write the event handler?
    I need it to be a Dialog member and not a CMyEdit member, because i have to access to other members defined in the dialog class.. if i just overload the CEdit's OnKeyDown() method i can't access something that is "external" to the class..
  • stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    One way I solved that problem is for CMyEdit to reflect the WM_KEYDOWN to its parent (the CDialog derived class that contains the edit control) Here is the code snippet. Use ClassWizard to create both event handlers.

[code]
    void CMyEdit::OnKeyDown(UINT nChar, UINT nRepCnt, UINT nFlags)
    {
    ::PostMessage(GetParent()->m_hWnd, WM_KEYDOWN,nChar,0);
    CEdit::OnKeyDown(nChar, nRepCnt, nFlags);
    }
    [/code]

[code]
    void CTestDlgDlg::OnKeyDown(UINT nChar, UINT nRepCnt, UINT nFlags)
    {
    // TODO: Add your message handler code here and/or call default

CDialog::OnKeyDown(nChar, nRepCnt, nFlags);
    }

[/code]