Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

VB.net application design question?

rlcrlc Member Posts: 448
I am currently designing an application that I am going to split into several pieces.

Namely one or more Windows services (i.e. a DB service and a Communications service). Also I will have an interface maybe, vb.net maybe asp.net.

But my real question is, when a VB.net application is split into separate components what is the most efficient way to communicate between the pieces? Is creating COM objects the best/only choice?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

~rlc

Comments

• raymcdraymcd Member Posts: 284
    : I am currently designing an application that I am going to split into several pieces.
    :
    : Namely one or more Windows services (i.e. a DB service and a Communications service). Also I will have an interface maybe, vb.net maybe asp.net.
    :
    : But my real question is, when a VB.net application is split into separate components what is the most efficient way to communicate between the pieces? Is creating COM objects the best/only choice?
    :
    : Any insight would be greatly appreciated
    :
    : ~rlc

You can use .net remoting, you can use web services, you can use com+. It all depends on your needs. For example one design I saw used webservices as a secure method of authentication because of its tight integration with IIS and NTLM/Kerberos. Once authenticated, a GUID was exchanged to identify the session and communication switched over to .net remoting for its better speed. While remoting has weak security features, the GUID was obtained through a secure channel and is now attached to every message.

All in all, COM is not the only choice, nor would I say its even the best choice. If you can stay within managed code you can minimize marshalling. I am not sure if managed calls into a managed COM+ component will marshal back and forth through COM-interop services, but I'd guess that it does.

Basically you want to create your objects that do your work in a host independant manner and then worry about the host later. Its very easy to wrap your class with a web service or some other host.

-Ray