what's up with ASP.NET?????? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

what's up with ASP.NET??????

donkyhodonkyho Posts: 99Member
I am writing an ASP.NET app in C#. I am having some serious problems with things. I don't understand why, but sometimes things work and a day or 2 later it doesn't work anymore! For example, I have a COM object I wrote in C++ that I am using in the app. The object creation line of code will sometimes cause my app to crash and sometimes it works just fine. I sent a message to a friend who suggested my ASP.NET user account on my computer doesn't have access to the folders it needs, so I gave more access to that user and it fixed that problem. For some reason though I will be working on it, test it and it will crash trying to create the object again. I am POSITIVE it's not any code. I don't understand how to set up my computer properly for ASP.NET. What permissions must I set, etc. One thing I have noticed is that under internet options...in the LAN Settings, if "automatically detect network settings" is checked, my code does not work. Right now I can not create an object from my dll, but as has happened a few times this week, I'll look around change a few settings, then change them back to exactly how they are now, reboot and bam, for some reason it'll work :). Anyways, I know I rambled on here, and I hope my jibberish made sense, but I would really like to know if someone can tell me how to configure my settings so I don't continue to have these problems, or if I do, at least I understand them.

Thanks

Comments

• raymcdraymcd Posts: 284Member
    : I am writing an ASP.NET app in C#. I am having some serious problems with things. I don't understand why, but sometimes things work and a day or 2 later it doesn't work anymore! For example, I have a COM object I wrote in C++ that I am using in the app. The object creation line of code will sometimes cause my app to crash and sometimes it works just fine. I sent a message to a friend who suggested my ASP.NET user account on my computer doesn't have access to the folders it needs, so I gave more access to that user and it fixed that problem. For some reason though I will be working on it, test it and it will crash trying to create the object again. I am POSITIVE it's not any code. I don't understand how to set up my computer properly for ASP.NET. What permissions must I set, etc. One thing I have noticed is that under internet options...in the LAN Settings, if "automatically detect network settings" is checked, my code does not work. Right now I can not create an object from my dll, but as has happened a few times this week, I'll look around change a few settings, then change them back to exactly how they are now, reboot and bam, for some reason it'll work :). Anyways, I know I rambled on here, and I hope my jibberish made sense, but I would really like to know if someone can tell me how to configure my settings so I don't continue to have these problems, or if I do, at least I understand them.
    :
    : Thanks

Set AspCompat to true. That should fix it. It has to do with single threaded apartments and stuff like that (that's the technical explanation by the way) :) I don't know enough about the object and its thread safety/behavior/requirements but its worth trying. If you have some flakey creation error with an unmanaged component this is the first thing I'd try. Sounds like a threading issue.

-ray
  • donkyhodonkyho Posts: 99Member
    : : I am writing an ASP.NET app in C#. I am having some serious problems with things. I don't understand why, but sometimes things work and a day or 2 later it doesn't work anymore! For example, I have a COM object I wrote in C++ that I am using in the app. The object creation line of code will sometimes cause my app to crash and sometimes it works just fine. I sent a message to a friend who suggested my ASP.NET user account on my computer doesn't have access to the folders it needs, so I gave more access to that user and it fixed that problem. For some reason though I will be working on it, test it and it will crash trying to create the object again. I am POSITIVE it's not any code. I don't understand how to set up my computer properly for ASP.NET. What permissions must I set, etc. One thing I have noticed is that under internet options...in the LAN Settings, if "automatically detect network settings" is checked, my code does not work. Right now I can not create an object from my dll, but as has happened a few times this week, I'll look around change a few settings, then change them back to exactly how they are now, reboot and bam, for some reason it'll work :). Anyways, I know I rambled on here, and I hope my jibberish made sense, but I would really like to know if someone can tell me how to configure my settings so I don't continue to have these problems, or if I do, at least I understand them.
    : :
    : : Thanks
    :
    : Set AspCompat to true. That should fix it. It has to do with single threaded apartments and stuff like that (that's the technical explanation by the way) :) I don't know enough about the object and its thread safety/behavior/requirements but its worth trying. If you have some flakey creation error with an unmanaged component this is the first thing I'd try. Sounds like a threading issue.
    :
    : -ray
    :

sorry for my ignorance, but how and where do I set this AspCompat to true? I've never heard of AspCompat
  • raymcdraymcd Posts: 284Member
    : : : I am writing an ASP.NET app in C#. I am having some serious problems with things. I don't understand why, but sometimes things work and a day or 2 later it doesn't work anymore! For example, I have a COM object I wrote in C++ that I am using in the app. The object creation line of code will sometimes cause my app to crash and sometimes it works just fine. I sent a message to a friend who suggested my ASP.NET user account on my computer doesn't have access to the folders it needs, so I gave more access to that user and it fixed that problem. For some reason though I will be working on it, test it and it will crash trying to create the object again. I am POSITIVE it's not any code. I don't understand how to set up my computer properly for ASP.NET. What permissions must I set, etc. One thing I have noticed is that under internet options...in the LAN Settings, if "automatically detect network settings" is checked, my code does not work. Right now I can not create an object from my dll, but as has happened a few times this week, I'll look around change a few settings, then change them back to exactly how they are now, reboot and bam, for some reason it'll work :). Anyways, I know I rambled on here, and I hope my jibberish made sense, but I would really like to know if someone can tell me how to configure my settings so I don't continue to have these problems, or if I do, at least I understand them.
    : : :
    : : : Thanks
    : : Set AspCompat to true. That should fix it. It has to do with single threaded apartments and stuff like that (that's the technical explanation by the way) :) I don't know enough about the object and its thread safety/behavior/requirements but its worth trying. If you have some flakey creation error with an unmanaged component this is the first thing I'd try. Sounds like a threading issue.
    : : -ray
    :
    : sorry for my ignorance, but how and where do I set this AspCompat to true? I've never heard of AspCompat
    :

DUDE... at least look it up in the help. It has its own index entry. You add it to the Page directive at the top of the html source for your webform.

<@ Page AspCompat="true"> 'Don't change the stuff that's already there.

-Ray