Database displaying problems - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Database displaying problems

zapperonzapperon Posts: 88Member
I have the following problem. I have a self referencing table(table that points to itself). This structure is implemeted so that so that I can model an hirachical tree. I have to now display the data however in the way a directory structure is displayed. Following data used for example :

ID :Name :FK(Foreign Key)
=============================================================
1 :The Boss(Transport company) :NULL
2 :CEO :1 reports to(The Boss:1)
3 :Financial Manager :2 reports to(CEO)
4 :Labor Mnager :2 reports to(CEO)
5 :Transport Manager :2 reports to(CEO)
6 :The Boss(A internet company) :NULL
7 :CEO :6 reports to(The Boss:6)
8 :Financial Manager :7 reports to(CEO)
9 :Labor Mnager :7 reports to(CEO)
10 :Networking Manager :8 reports to(Financial Manager)

-1|
|-2|
-6|
|-7|
|-8|

There can many toplevel Entrys with x amout of subentrys. Now what would be the best way to displaying them ? Secondly how can I change or modify the text value displayed in a DBGrid before it is displayed on the DBGrid. Thirdly how can I make DRGrid column give the user a Yes/No choice where the base type of the field is an integer but it stores either a 1 or a zero and how to display this as true and false on a 1 or 0 but not on other values.

Any help will be appreciated.
Zapperon
[email protected]

Comments

• PerranPerran Posts: 241Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Perran at 2003-7-3 7:18:28[/red][/b][hr]
    : I have the following problem. I have a self referencing table(table that points to itself). This structure is implemeted so that so that I can model an hirachical tree. I have to now display the data however in the way a directory structure is displayed. Following data used for example :
    :
    : ID :Name :FK(Foreign Key)
    : =============================================================
    : 1 :The Boss(Transport company) :NULL
    : 2 :CEO :1 reports to(The Boss:1)
    : 3 :Financial Manager :2 reports to(CEO)
    : 4 :Labor Mnager :2 reports to(CEO)
    : 5 :Transport Manager :2 reports to(CEO)
    : 6 :The Boss(A internet company) :NULL
    : 7 :CEO :6 reports to(The Boss:6)
    : 8 :Financial Manager :7 reports to(CEO)
    : 9 :Labor Mnager :7 reports to(CEO)
    : 10 :Networking Manager :8 reports to(Financial Manager)
    :
    : -1|
    : |-2|
    : |-3
    : |-4
    : |-5
    : -6|
    : |-7|
    : |-8|
    : |-10
    : |-9
    :
    : There can many toplevel Entrys with x amout of subentrys. Now what would be the best way to displaying them ? Secondly how can I change or modify the text value displayed in a DBGrid before it is displayed on the DBGrid. Thirdly how can I make DRGrid column give the user a Yes/No choice where the base type of the field is an integer but it stores either a 1 or a zero and how to display this as true and false on a 1 or 0 but not on other values.
    :
    : Any help will be appreciated.
    : Zapperon
    : [email protected]
    :
    I was faced with a similar situation a while back. I downloaded a component that implemented a windoze tree control that was "data aware". It's a very nice component and handles all of the tree links in the background. Unfortunately, I'm blanking on the name and I'm writing this from my Linux box. Try a Google for "TDBTreeView" or variations on that. I might have gotten it from the components section of this site. Sorry I can't remember the details. HTH.