Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

How do i write this kind of program

wyz0020wyz0020 Posts: 120Member
sorry that i didn't state clearly what i am trying to ask, because it's hard to cover my question in just one sentence.
How can i make a program that does MS-DOS commands, like i wanna write a program in C that ping an ip, or copy a file to somewhere else. People can, of course, open MS-DOS MODE and type in "ping 127.0.0.1", but i wanna make a program which does that automaticly so that the user can just double click the program, and the program will ping the machine itself.
Can that be done?

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    : sorry that i didn't state clearly what i am trying to ask, because it's hard to cover my question in just one sentence.
    : How can i make a program that does MS-DOS commands, like i wanna write a program in C that ping an ip, or copy a file to somewhere else. People can, of course, open MS-DOS MODE and type in "ping 127.0.0.1", but i wanna make a program which does that automaticly so that the user can just double click the program, and the program will ping the machine itself.
    : Can that be done?
    :
    [blue]Well, yes, that can be done. But I don't see the point in pinging the same computer on wich the program is run! [/blue]
    [code]
    #include

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
    char command[126];
    char *ip;
    if(argc == 2)
    ip = argv[1];
    else
    ip = "127.0.0.1";
    sprintf(command,"ping %s", ip);
    system(command);
    return 0;
    }
    [/code]

• tom_swtom_sw Posts: 828Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by tom_sw at 2003-7-3 8:47:28[/red][/b][hr]
    : : sorry that i didn't state clearly what i am trying to ask, because it's hard to cover my question in just one sentence.
    : : How can i make a program that does MS-DOS commands, like i wanna write a program in C that ping an ip, or copy a file to somewhere else. People can, of course, open MS-DOS MODE and type in "ping 127.0.0.1", but i wanna make a program which does that automaticly so that the user can just double click the program, and the program will ping the machine itself.
    : : Can that be done?
    : :
    : [blue]Well, yes, that can be done. But I don't see the point in pinging the same computer on wich the program is run! [/blue]
    : [code]
    : #include
    :
    : int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    : {
    : char command[126];
    : char *ip;
    : if(argc == 2)
    : ip = argv[1];
    : else
    : ip = "127.0.0.1";
    : sprintf(command,"ping %s", ip);
    : system(command);
    : return 0;
    : }
    : [/code]
    :
    :
    Using the KISS principle, you could just use a batch file (pingme.bat for example) containing the line 'ping 127.0.0.1'

Then make an shortcut to that file. When you click it, it will open a Command prompt box, and run the command. If you find it is closing the box at the end of the program and you want it to stay open, and a line that says 'pause'.

It's not nearly as 'cool' as using C++, but it will work just fine and you'll have it ready in 2 minutes.

• wyz0020wyz0020 Posts: 120Member
    Thank you very much. I wasn't gonna ping 127.0.0.1. it's just an example. i think it'll be more clear then just make up an ip.
    but thanks anyway.
    hi, i have two more question:
    in the following code,

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
    char command[126];
    char *ip;
    if(argc == 2)
    ip = argv[1];
    else
    ip = "127.0.0.1";
    sprintf(command,"ping %s", ip);
    system(command);
    return 0;
    }

what does the fourth line( if(argc == 2)) and the fifth line (ip = argv[1]) do?

the second question is when i execute and run the program, it show up a dialog box which ask me to enter the parameter? what should i do with that?
    Thank you! :)

• tom_swtom_sw Posts: 828Member
    : hi, i have two more question:
    : in the following code,
    : [code]
    : int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    : {
    : char command[126];
    : char *ip;
    : if(argc == 2) [red]// This checks for incoming command line arguments[/red]
    : ip = argv[1]; [red]// if there is one, it gets the value for your ping[/red]
    : else
    : ip = "127.0.0.1"; [red] // otherwise uses the default value[/red]
    : sprintf(command,"ping %s", ip);
    : system(command);
    : return 0;
    : }
    : [/code]
    : what does the fourth line( if(argc == 2)) and the fifth line (ip = argv[1]) do?
    :
    : the second question is when i execute and run the program, it show up a dialog box which ask me to enter the parameter? what should i do with that?
    : Thank you! :)
    :
    :

I learned a lot today. so why the (if(argc == 2)) is == 2 not ==1 or ==0? and i didn't see any scanf or getchar commands. Where does the user suppose to enter data, in our case, the ip. Is it once you use the main(int argc, char *argv[]) thing, it'll pop up a dialog box for you to input data? or is the system(command) did the trick? I found some articles about the main(int argc....) thing, but i couldn't understand. can you teach me how it works? it'll be better if someone teaches me. Thank you.
    : I learned a lot today. so why the (if(argc == 2)) is == 2 not ==1 or ==0? and i didn't see any scanf or getchar commands. Where does the user suppose to enter data, in our case, the ip. Is it once you use the main(int argc, char *argv[]) thing, it'll pop up a dialog box for you to input data? or is the system(command) did the trick? I found some articles about the main(int argc....) thing, but i couldn't understand. can you teach me how it works? it'll be better if someone teaches me. Thank you.
    :

[blue]That little program assumes you will enter the value on the DOS command-line, for example:[/blue]
    [code]
    c:>MyPng 127.0.0.1
    [/code]
    [blue]Now then MyPng.exe is executed, MS-DOS will pass two parameters to it: Parameter #1 is always the name of the program, and Parameter #2 is the ip address 127.0.0.1. That is why argc == 2. argv[0] = the program name and argv[1] = the ip address.

If you did not enter the IP address, then argc == 1 and argv[0] == the name of the program.[/blue]
    thank you, i appreciate your help.
    but the program didn't seems to work. i name the program ping1.exe. when i run it under MS-DOS, i entered c:>ping1 127.0.0.1 [ENTER], then it kind of run for a second, then it stoped, no report, nothing. it went back to c:> . kind of like this:
    c:>
    c:>ping1 127.0.0.1 [ENTER] //run for a second
    // went back to
    c:>

the whole thing is like that, nothing appeared. if i use ping command in dos, it'll tell me how much byte did i send, and did the target machine recieved the packages or not.
    but my ping1 seems like does nothing. did it really ping the target machine already?
    :
    : the whole thing is like that, nothing appeared. if i use ping command in dos, it'll tell me how much byte did i send, and did the target machine recieved the packages or not.
    : but my ping1 seems like does nothing. did it really ping the target machine already?
    :

I am using XP operating system and get this output

[code]

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms