MBCS and Unicode - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

MBCS and Unicode

bikibiki Posts: 492Member
[green]Does anyone here have any experience of using Internationalization? Also, can anyone give me a short explanation of the difference between MBCS and Unicode ? When I do internationalization of my app, do I need to bother about MBCS and Unicode both ?[/green]
[hr][red]~Bikram[/red]

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : [green]Does anyone here have any experience of using Internationalization? Also, can anyone give me a short explanation of the difference between MBCS and Unicode ? When I do internationalization of my app, do I need to bother about MBCS and Unicode both ?[/green]
    : [hr][red]~Bikram[/red]
    :
    I have tinkered somewhat with internationalization in two ways: the D5's Translation Manager and data files containing all the strings of the program. The first requires less coding and is the "official" way to internationalize your program, ie. it uses the language resources. The other method gives you as a coder more control and is much smaller on the memory and resources.
    As for the difference between unicode and MBCS. In the unicode all characters are 2-bytes long, while a MBCS string consists of 1-byte characters and 2-byte characters. This makes indexing the MBCS strings more of a hassle. As far as I know all the captions in Delphi are MBCS.
    In most cases internationalization only consists of changing the captions of the various controls and possibly the icons of others. If you stick to western languages you don't have to worry about either system, because these are displayed using the SBCS. Most oriental languages use MBCS. This means that unless you are using unicode strings in your code, you only need to worry about MBCS.