Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

How much memory can a Delphi program use?

Hi!

I want to know how much memory can a Delphi GUI program use. Can it use whatever system memory which is availiable? for example, my computer have 64Mb, does it mean that at the time operation system and other software using 50Mb, the Delphi GUI program can have up to 14Mb to use? Can the Delphi GUI program use virtual memory on harddisk under Windows?

Thank you!

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : Hi!
    :
    : I want to know how much memory can a Delphi GUI program use. Can it use whatever system memory which is availiable? for example, my computer have 64Mb, does it mean that at the time operation system and other software using 50Mb, the Delphi GUI program can have up to 14Mb to use? Can the Delphi GUI program use virtual memory on harddisk under Windows?
    :
    : Thank you!
    :
    Each win32 program has a memory space of 4GB, so also a Delphi program. This is automatically handled by the Delphi compiler, and should never be an issue for most programs.
  • earth_walkerearth_walker Posts: 184Member
  • bikibiki Posts: 492Member
    [green]Any program written for Win32 can use no more than 2 GB of address space. The remaining 2GB is used for kernel code. Thus, all programs can use at most 2 GB in Win32. However in Win2000 Advanced Server, a program can use upto a max of 3GB if the program is specially compiled.[/green]
    [hr][red]~Bikram[/red]

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : [green]Any program written for Win32 can use no more than 2 GB of address space. The remaining 2GB is used for kernel code. Thus, all programs can use at most 2 GB in Win32. However in Win2000 Advanced Server, a program can use upto a max of 3GB if the program is specially compiled.[/green]
    : [hr][red]~Bikram[/red]
    :
    :
    Sorry, my mistake, but it is still enough for almost all programs.
    Yes, it must be enough. Then if there is problem on the 64Mb memory, I think the best solution is to buy memory and install.

Thank you!

[green]True, it is enough for 99 percent of the apps out there.
    However, your suggestion about 64 Megs of memory does not really hold true. The 2 GB is after all, virtual memory, if it's backed by 'real' RAM, great. If not, there's always the HDD swap file. Remember, Win32 is virtual memory enabled!
    [/green]
    [hr][red]~Bikram[/red]

[green]You're right it is more than enough for most programs. And looking at your Delphi track-record, I'd say you do seem to be one helluva Delphi coder! :)[/green]
    [hr][red]~Bikram[/red]

Thank you!

I'm a student making GUI program for prof and started studying Delphi atabout one month ago. The reason I raised the memory question is that I was told, the program may be use to solve some very big problem (even if it is not complicated), such as the data of up to a million nodes for finite element method.

I have to say thank you to you and the other people in this forum, because I got so much help here.

Thank you!