Help with variant and time datatypes - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Help with variant and time datatypes

csbrmgcsbrmg Posts: 4Member
Question 1
How can you create a variable that can be changed from one data type to another during run time.Which data type would be better variant or a byte array

Question 2
I need help in converting the entire byte array into a specific data type .At the moment i can only know how to convert a specific byte into some value

Question 3
Are there any datatype variables in delphi that allow you to store a time calue without a date at the moment i can only find a data type TTimeField which i think is supposed to be used as a form component but i only want to store the time not display or store it on a form

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : Question 1
    : How can you create a variable that can be changed from one data type to another during run time.Which data type would be better variant or a byte array
    :
    A byte array can hold all types, while a variant is automatically converted. So either type has its pros and cons. If memory is an issue, I would suggest a byte array, since that is somewhat smaller, but otherwise are variants shorter to code.

: Question 2
    : I need help in converting the entire byte array into a specific data type .At the moment i can only know how to convert a specific byte into some value
    :
    You can use the Move() routine for that. Here is an example to copy a float into a byte array, and back again.
    [code]
    SetLength(ByteArray, SizeOf(myFloat));
    Move(MyFloat, ByteArray, Length(ByteArray));
    ... { code using the ByteArray }
    Move(ByteArray, MyFloat, Length(ByteArray));
    [/code]
    Obviously this method has a huge inherent danger: you can easily type-cast the bytearray into a variable, which is too small. This might lead to loss of data.

: Question 3
    : Are there any datatype variables in delphi that allow you to store a time calue without a date at the moment i can only find a data type TTimeField which i think is supposed to be used as a form component but i only want to store the time not display or store it on a form
    :
    There are no purely time types. You can always use a TDateTime typed variable, and just ignore the date part.